how to easily clone responsive site

• JOHN
    JOHN
    Newbie 40 points
    August 22, 2015 at 5:07 pm

I have multiple subdomains that will have the same setup so I wanted to clone the master site. Greengeeks has a built in wordpress clone plugin and when i use it I get everything except the theme backgrounds. Is there something I can do to get this? or is there a better way to clone a premiumpress responsive site? This is the coupon theme but I am going to do the same with directory theme.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Errol
    Errol
    Super Guru 2,708 points
    August 22, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Hi John there might be a better formula than the following procedure I used a while back and it works then, but I have not used it since then. In the older version of the responsive theme while I was learning I clone a live site to a test site and after completion I had was to login to the test site and turn on the responsive design button in theme options page setup, then copy and paste the shortcodes and HTM from the original theme and paste them in Content Pages.

The new theme if you’re using it seems a bit shuffle around from the other versions so if I was to do that today as a new users and after cloning I would have to go to General Setup > Layout Setup and turn on Responsive Design and apply the theme I’m using in Installed Theme. From there I will click on Page Setup and pate the shortcodes in the various pages. If no other answer presents itself here you can give it a try and see if it works – Hope all goes well – Good Luck.

• Janak
    Super Guru 1,283 points
    August 23, 2015 at 8:24 am

John, I do it the old fashioned way.

1. Download all you files from the wordpress site you are cloning then upload them to new location.
    2. Backup database from site you are cloning – there are various ways but I just export from phpMyAdmin. Then create new database and import from the backup you created.
    3. Modify wp-config.php on new site with new database details.
    4. Use this utility:
    https://interconnectit.com/products/search-and-replace-for-wordpress-databases/
    Change all references from old domain to new domain/subdomain.

I’m sure there are much quicker methods but it works for me every time.

• Sandra
    Sandra
    Senior Member 265 points
    August 24, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Hi,
    I too am wanting to clone my existing single site to create a subdomain on a multisite.

How would I go about that?

I have my multisite created.

I want multisite.com/newsite to show the contents of my old single site http://www.singlesite.com

• Errol
    Errol
    Super Guru 2,708 points
    August 24, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I realize reading this post once again that I did not mention in the above post that the procedure we use a while back; that after you create the sites that you want to clone your site too you cannot install a new WP therein, if you install a new WP script you will get an error message seeing that the script is already with the clone version. If completed successfully you can then update to the new version of WP.

I have not try the options Janak mention, however, if any of these are a plugin work for you – go for it. Good Luck.

@Sandra not familiar with cloning a multisite, you may have to check WP forum for an answer or look for a plugin… https://wordpress.org/plugins/ Hope all goes well.

Regards,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes