How do I install Child Theme for Responsive DirectoryPress site?

• Brent
    Brent
    Newbie 20 points
    August 6, 2013 at 1:40 pm

While trying to install the Lemisto Child Theme for my Responsive DirectoryPress Theme, I got the following error message >>
    —————–
    Installing Theme from uploaded file: template_basic_Lemisto.zip
    Unpacking the packageโ€ฆ
    Installing the themeโ€ฆ
    The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.
    Theme install failed.
    —————–
    Any idea what else I need to do to get it to install? Do I have to carry out extra steps with this Child Theme?

• Fernando
    Fernando
    Newbie 55 points
    August 6, 2013 at 2:00 pm

you should use the upload system in control panel

Theme Options -> Display Setup -> Upload Theme

Then click Save at bottom to upload.

• Brent
    Brent
    Newbie 20 points
    August 7, 2013 at 9:26 am

Thanks, Fernando, that worked a treat.

Of course, I then had to choose the child theme from the list when done & Save that choice.

And very easy when you told me what I missed! Have a good one, mate. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 7, 2013 at 4:30 pm

๐Ÿ™‚

• Claudia
    Claudia
    Newbie 70 points
    August 9, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I have the Responsive Directory theme. I uploaded one of the free Premium Press Child Themes through my admin area.

I initially got a permissions error when I uploaded it, so I set my permissions to 777 for my WP Content folder to upload it then it worked fine and I got the Successfully Updated message.

But it is not viewing as being available to select and use it via the Display Setup page where I uploaded it. When I use the Current Theme pulldown menu, my only option is still the default Directory Theme.

Just for kicks I went to the main Installed WP Themes page to see if it showed up there and its not there either.

Can someone please direct me to where I am supposed to access the Child Theme please?

Thanx! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 9, 2013 at 4:30 pm

all child themes go in the folder;

wp-content/themes/XXXX/templates/

where XXXX is the name of your responsive theme.

the upload child theme tool will try to upload it to that location however, if for some reason it cannot, you can manually upload them to it.

• Claudia
    Claudia
    Newbie 70 points
    August 9, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Thanx! Mark.

Okay, I see that the Child Theme did upload into my wp-content/themes folder.

I have Directory Press responsive theme.

So you are saying this Child Theme should go into a subfolder in my
    > wp-content/themes/whatever-the-new-responsive-theme-is-called/templates folder?

I do not even see a theme folder for the new Responsive Theme, only the original version 7 theme folder. And that one does not appear to have a templates folder.
    There is a templalte-directorypress folder, but the contents of that don’t look to want to include a child theme folder.

My site dials up on the new responsive theme (https://christiansinbusinessdirectory.com/) and it does shows in my list of available themes on the regular >WP Appearance >Manage Themes page.

I have attached a screen shot of my wp-content folder structure:

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Claudia
    Claudia
    Newbie 70 points
    August 9, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Okay, I got it wrong – I think. DT42 is the Responsive Theme name. I thought that was the Child Theme. Let me upload it into the folder, then it should work. Ughhh…

Sorry for all the lame confusion. ๐Ÿ™

• Claudia
    Claudia
    Newbie 70 points
    August 9, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Okay – that was it. My brain errorred out on all the error messages I’ve been getting the last couple of days – LOL! So I manually installed the child theme folder where you told me and it appears.

Thanx! Mark. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 10, 2013 at 1:07 am

๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes