Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Binesh

Creating Child Themes

Hello, I tried to create a child theme for my directorypress website (Version 4.1 – responsive) after watching the video tutorial on https://www.premiumpress.com/wordpress-child-themes/ This is what I did. 1. Accessed /wp-content/themes/DT41/templates/template_directory_theme and created a new folder named template_directory_theme_dotix and copied all the contents of template_directory_theme to it. 2. As I am not an expert on using ‘functions and hooks’ I copied two files named ‘css.bootstrap’ and ‘css.bootstrap-responsive’ to a manually created ‘css’ folder inside the child theme folder. 3. Logged on to my admin panel and selected my child theme. All my settings work fine and the website loads perfect. Could anyone on this forum guide me if I have done the right thing? Will any future updates to Version 4.1 affect me as I have copied the above mentioned files to the child theme folder instead of using functions and hooks?

Created: August 8, 2013 at 2:08 am

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    August 8, 2013 at 2:42 am

hi Binesh

that sounds fine and looks like your on the right track, ensure you backup your child theme before any updates then simply add it back afterwards.

• Binesh
    Binesh
    August 8, 2013 at 3:06 am

Thanks Mark 🙂

• Errol
    Errol
    August 8, 2013 at 3:18 am

Hey Binesh,

Sound great what you doing – can we see a small preview of your site?

Best Regards,

Errol

• Binesh
    Binesh
    August 8, 2013 at 5:09 am

Hi Errol,

http://www.dotix.org Am still working on the basic settings :). Lost my custom styles because of the recent word press and theme updates. That is why I thought it would be good to have a child theme to save our effort.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    August 8, 2013 at 5:50 am

looks good

• Errol
    Errol
    August 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Hi Binesh,

Nice job 🙂

So the look and feel of the core theme can really be structured in a child theme. Maybe this is an idea you can post in the Feature Request Board and give member to vote on the idea.

We know the developer is busy right about now, but maybe it’s something he can look at down the line and design a “Child Theme Clone” with the look and feel of all the theme he created (if it can work), yet keeping all the features of the present child theme (ex: videos, music, etc.,) so we can have more to pick and choose from if we like the design of our present core theme.

Hope I’m talking some form of sense here:) Keep up the good works!

Kind Regards,

Errol

• Binesh
    Binesh
    August 9, 2013 at 5:31 am

Hi Errol,

Thank you. I am afraid, this ‘copy paste’ or ‘Child Theme Clone’ technique might work only for those who make changes to the files inside the ‘template_directory_theme’ folder. I thought it is better to wait for a few updates and see its impact on my website 🙂

I read on a word press blog that any customized bootstrap css files wouldn’t load itself from a child theme without an ‘instruction’ probably to be inserted in ‘_functions.php’. Mark might know about this better.

Any way, I am in love with premiumpress themes.

😛

Copyright © 2010-2020 PremiumPress Limited.

secure payments