Better WP Security Plug In

Better WP Security Plug In

July 3, 2013
Harry Harry
  • Harry
    Harry
    Senior Member 135 points

Problems encountered installing and fine tuning Better WP Security Plug in

• This topic was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Mark Fail Mark Fail.
    July 3, 2013 at 11:11 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

whats problem, could you share?

July 3, 2013 at 11:14 am
  • Harry
    Harry
    Senior Member 135 points

I recently added Better WP Security plug in to my DP sites. I posted in the old forum and received great advice. Sadly with the database crash not sure if these can be accessed again.

It is now over a week since I installed the plug ins and still have thes major issues.

1. Removing Admin ID 1 has major effects with DP but that was not made clear when setting up. I deliberately did not change ANY settings that indicated there may be a conflict issue. However I have now discovered removing Admin user ID 1 will clash with the Claim Listing and other functions.

I think it was Jay (hope I got that right) recognised the issue and that the single.php could be edited to solve this. My problem was that it seems like the plug in just deleted that code. Mark advised to reinstate the Admin ID 1. I do not see a way to do this.

2. Spam. I was told this plug in used in conjunction with Akismet would give me better results. To date the amount of spam getting through to my sites has definitely INCREASED.

I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced these or similar problems and from anyone with advice, expertise on settings that are effective.

A problem shared is a problem halved. :)

July 3, 2013 at 11:29 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

thanks for sharing Harry, ill leave it open to others.

July 3, 2013 at 1:56 pm
  • David Harris
    David Harris
    Senior Member 367 points

It’s a beast, handle with care. I have only used it once and it messed up a database, my fault though I did not read the ‘destructions’ fully.

July 3, 2013 at 2:16 pm
  • Harry
    Harry
    Senior Member 135 points

Thanks David. I think that it may turn out to be a case of paying for the ‘one-off’ service charge to get them to check installation.

July 3, 2013 at 2:47 pm
  • David Harris
    David Harris
    Senior Member 367 points

Bet that’s their main earner :) Not daft these people.

July 3, 2013 at 4:05 pm
  • Harry
    Harry
    Senior Member 135 points

Would just like to say that it was Jim@DeLimeImaging.com who offered some great advice and seemed to be pretty ‘au fait’ with the plug in.

Hopefully will be able to access those comments when the database is recovered.

July 4, 2013 at 5:48 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

Jims still about somewhere, im sure when he sees this topic he’ll chip in.

July 4, 2013 at 2:10 pm
  • James
    James
    Newbie 42 points

Hi Harry,

To recap my previous post, in _single.php in the child theme (placing one there is for a different post), find this:

[code] // CLAMIN LISTING BOX

if(isset($GLOBALS[‘claim_email’]) && $GLOBALS[‘claim_email’] !=”” && $post->post_author == 1 && get_option(“display_claim_listing”) ==”yes” ){ ?>[/code]

and change the

[code title=””]post_author == 1[/code]

to be equal to your current admin userid. I have found this is frequently 2.

WP-Better Security can be dangerous if some settings are selected. I have permanently lock myself out with some of them requiring editing the database directly to get back in.

My policy now is not to check ANY boxes that there are warnings for like those that modify core WP files, etc.

I use WordFence also on all sites. You can easily block IP’s and IP regions with the free version and entire countries easily with the paid version. This dramatically reduces spam.

Jim

July 4, 2013 at 2:49 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

thanks for sharing Jim

July 4, 2013 at 3:01 pm
  • Narender Kumar
    Narender Kumar
    Senior Member 273 points

Hi Jim,

Thanks a lot for the info. Just want to know can we use the plugin wordfence with akismet the default one in wordpress. Is it good to have two plugins for one issue.

Regards,

Narender

July 8, 2013 at 6:30 pm
  • James
    James
    Newbie 42 points

Hi Narender,

Yes…..I have both running and they work fine together.

Jim

July 8, 2013 at 8:48 pm
  • Narender Kumar
    Narender Kumar
    Senior Member 273 points

Thank you so much Jim. Learning from stalwarts like you.

Best Regards,
    Narender

July 9, 2013 at 1:06 pm
  • James
    James
    Newbie 42 points

Wow…I am a stalwart 😉

Thanks, Narender

July 9, 2013 at 1:29 pm
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team