Anyone else fed up with posts that are just a smiley or similar?

• Janak
    August 17, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Mentioning no names (you know who you are!), is anyone else irritated by looking at updated threads only to see the only addition is a post that is simply a smiley or “sorted” or “thanks for sharing” or similar. It wastes a lot of time clicking on threads to find this.
    Am I missing something – are there prizes for getting your post count up?

I can sort of accept it when the person posting has been involved in the thread but when someone else who hasn’t comes along and adds a smiley or similar at end I just think why?

I’m not being too serious so don’t take offence anyone but would be interested to know what people think.

• Liz
    Liz
    August 17, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Hi Janak,

I once mentioned this quite a while back in conversation, where I regretfully has a little dig at one of the support staff, I was unaware at the time that the support staff member was supposed to do it, as a method to highlight the fact that the issue had been answered and dealt with.
    apparently this made it easier for support staff to see if a question had been answered, This was in relation to the “thanks for sharing” post and similar words. It is highly likely that the same still applies and helps the support team to see at a glance which posts have been answered and which ones still need a response. I have not been on the forum for a couple of months at least so I am not sure if this is still the case, sorry for my assumption if I am wrong, I hope this sheds a little light.
    Although it is helpful to support staff. I can understand what you mean by clicking to see that there is nothing more to read.

• Mark
    Mark
    August 17, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Thanks for sharing, Liz. 😉

I agree with you that it is often annoying to go through a ton of forum posts where there is no real answer, but ‘Thanks for sharing’. I understand that the support team needs some sort of acknowledgment of the posts, but I am sure there are other methods doing so. If this forum application does not support it, maybe Mark Fail should invest in a better forum.
    There should be a way of marking and highlighting ‘SOLVED’ post and having some tagging system to be able to ‘filter’ the topics in more appropriate way.
    Also, having a member ‘chat’ would improve things greatly.
    I could go on and on and write a long list of things.

In simple terms, this forum s*cks.

This is my honest opinion and you may or may not agree with it.

Mark

• Aaron
    Aaron
    August 17, 2015 at 2:06 pm

Pretty sure Janak’s not talking about any of the support staff.

Custom field – Has your query been resolved yes/no could work.

• Janak
    August 17, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Hi Liz, if it serves a purpose to support staff then fair enough. Is it only support staff that do this though?
    I’ve always noticed it but over the last few days there seemed to be more of this type of post. If they are all from support staff and there is a purpose then my apologies.

@Mark, I agree marking a thread as SOLVED would be much effective than posting pointless posts.

@Aaron, I know Josh is support but not sure about some of the others.

• Binesh
    Binesh
    August 17, 2015 at 2:21 pm

This trend will continue until all the 36523 members are promoted to ‘Super Gurus’. If any ‘Super Guru’ is still doing it, he should be trying to reach the ‘top contributor’ position 🙂

• Janak
    August 17, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Good point Binesh, I’m 3 more points nearer due to this thread, though if I’d been a bit cleverer and I could have gained a few more points!

• Janak
    August 17, 2015 at 2:39 pm

🙂

• Clive
    Clive
    August 17, 2015 at 2:51 pm

And another thing which is becoming a real pain is when lazy users continually make posts which have been asked (and answered!) numerous times before, without even bothering to use the forum’s search function or look at the theme / general WordPress documentation.

If this were stopped, we would probably have less than half the number of forum posts – which could be dealt with more productively for the benefit of everyone (remember that none of us are paid to help on the forums – we all give our advice and time quite freely)

Finally, we really should have a dedicated forum area for the latest 8.4/8.5 releases so we can keep all the bugs etc in one place and track them as they are resolved.

• Liz
    Liz
    August 17, 2015 at 5:18 pm

@ Binesh, I think you made a good point!
    @ Janak, I think your intuition serves you well
    @ Clive, One would hope there aren’t any bugs, I was under the impression, that new releases were for the purpose of improvements or fixing bugs not generating more!
    Maybe Josh who always shares great answers, perhaps he knows the answer to Janak’s question….

• Liz
    Liz
    August 17, 2015 at 5:30 pm

@ Clive, we’ve already got a dedicated forum, actually we’ve even got one for each theme!
    Here > https://www.premiumpress.com/forums/forum/responsive-themes/ 🙂

• Clive
    Clive
    August 17, 2015 at 5:49 pm

LOL Liz, on top form as usual 😉

Okay, I’ll rephrase that. Maybe we should have a dedicated forum area for bugs / problems found with the initial 8.4 Beta release, given that the forum has been full of them for the last few days? (and this is why Mark is pushing out an 8.5 release next week-ish which should hopefully fix many of these bugs)

By having all the bugs in one place, there is a better chance that Mark can clear them out in one go – it’s usual practice when releasing Beta software.

• Liz
    Liz
    August 17, 2015 at 10:04 pm

This should help – see attached

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Mark
    Mark
    August 17, 2015 at 10:56 pm

No, Mark Fail would not do that Liz. He is too ‘Eco Friendly’

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Copyright © 2010-2020 PremiumPress Limited.

secure payments