Amazon Updating

• Clive
    Clive
    Newbie 1 points
    August 9, 2013 at 8:51 am

When Shopperpress updates product prices is this done automatically or is there some configuration required within Shopperpress or WordPress. Is a cron job set up automatically to do this or is it something I need to do. It just seems that products on my site digitalcamerascheap.co.uk aren’t being updated. How do I check if they are being updated?

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 9, 2013 at 10:11 am

the cron system will try and update 20 products per hour (limit is set by amazon)

• Mark
    Mark
    Newbie 26 points
    August 10, 2013 at 4:14 am

You should also check your settings and make sure the updater is enabled.

go here: Shopperpress>>import products>>amazon connections tab

if its off, enable it of course, then “update settings” to save.

• Justin
    Justin
    Newbie 23 points
    August 18, 2013 at 6:56 am

I hate to say it, but the Amazon prices are not updating correctly. I’ve been tracking a product on our Shopperpress 7.1.4 site after a customer complained that the price was higher once they clicked over to amazon. It’s been about two weeks now and I’ve run the debug tool about 10 times, but the price still doesn’t update. If you use the Amazon product import tool it does show the correct higher price as listed on Amazon, but that doesn’t help because it only adds products to the site as long as they haven’t already been imported. I know that I could just delete the product and then add it back, but it’s more important that the prices update correctly because I would never be able to find the wrongly priced products manually since we have thousands of products. Finally I did double checked to make sure that allow_url_fopen and allow_url_include are ON.

Please advise. Should I submit a ticket or are other having this problem as well?

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 18, 2013 at 10:26 am

If you have thousands of products and the updater does 20 products per hour, how long will it take before all products are updated? You can do the math yourself.

Also the WP cron jobs are triggered by visits (not by time) so if your site does not have enough traffic, your cron jobs will not happen every hour.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 92 points
    August 18, 2013 at 4:41 pm

I have reported this before Clive, its frustrating but that’s the way the system works. When I reported it, no one seemed to believe that it was actually happening, so there you go.

What I did to help get round it is to

a) Don’t have a shopping cart on your site, visitors get the warning message if the item is no longer available on Amazon (your site will also NOT delete items that are no longer on Amazon) and will not click through

b) Run the manual updater tool once a day yourself. It will work through the whole site and brings prices down great but will never put them back up if the price increases. You just have to hope your visitors still purchase

c) I now deleted one whole category a week and re-add the items back to it, to try and keep them as up to date as I can.

• Mark
    Mark
    Newbie 26 points
    August 18, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Yeah, It used to work see here;

Shopperpress 7.1.4 not deleteing expired amazon products

Hopefully mark will get this fixed.

• Justin
    Justin
    Newbie 23 points
    August 18, 2013 at 7:46 pm

Lee, thank you for speaking up.

Our website gets plenty of traffic (thousands) per month so the cron is definitely triggered. Also I’ve ran the manual debug about 10 times and let it run through all of the products so the 20 products per hour isn’t a factor. It is also important to note that every time I have ever watched the manual debug for an extended period of time I’ve always seen prices go down, or remain the same, but I’ve never seen one product price ever increase.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 19, 2013 at 3:34 pm

ill take a look asap, is it just the price not increasing?

• Justin
    Justin
    Newbie 23 points
    August 19, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Yes the Amazon prices are not increasing, but they seem to be decreasing fine. Some other people are also saying that products are not deleting, or becoming drafts if no longer available, but I cannot speak on that since I haven’t looked into it.

• Justin
    Justin
    Newbie 23 points
    August 30, 2013 at 12:03 am

Mark, please update us here when you get a chance to look at the Amazon price updating problem (Shoperpress 7.1.4). I’ve still been tracking our website and no changes; It’s still not functioning. Thank you! 🙂

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 92 points
    August 30, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Justin, the old forum was full of posts regarding this very subject. It will not be resolved, so you need to find a work around.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 30, 2013 at 4:17 pm

iv not updated the theme yet thus the amazon tool hasnt changed, ill try and get an update out at the end of sep.

the responsive plugin works differently and items are updated on page load so they are constantly refreshed.

• Justin
    Justin
    Newbie 23 points
    August 30, 2013 at 10:36 pm

Lee – I’m optimistic that Mark will fix the bug eventually 🙂

Mark – I was just reconfirming the problem so you know that this is for sure a bug that needs to be fixed. I’ve continued to track the products that haven’t updated and after many cron cycles and manual debugs the prices are unchanged. Anxiously awaiting the update 🙂

The responsive templates sound great and hopefully I’ll get some time and motivation to make the switch. Thank you for all your hard work Mark!

• Lee
    Lee
    Newbie 92 points
    August 31, 2013 at 8:42 am

You are clearly new to this problem 😉 – however I admire your optimism.

It would appear that the new Responsive Shopper theme (when it is released) will resolve this issue for us, according to Marks comments on other threads.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes