Advanced Search

Advanced Search

July 26, 2013
Roger Roger
  • Roger
    Roger
    Newbie 8 points

I am using the Advanced Search Widget on a search page on the Classified Theme. It works fine when I am logged in to the website with an account, but if I try and run a search when I am not logged in, it simply brings up the home page without displaying any results. The “Find Me a Puppy” menu link is a page. I have tried it as a category with the same results. I’ve tried IE8, IE10 and Firefox and it does the same on all of them. My website is http://www.paradeofpuppies.com, an advertising site which I am building to advertise and find puppies, so I really need this to work for anyone looking to find a puppy or a breeder who is advertising on my site. Any help would be appreciated!

July 26, 2013 at 1:59 am
  • Clive
    Clive
    Newbie 15 points

Why not force them to register on your site before they can use it? That way you get a database of users which is very useful for future e-mail marketing, etc. If people can use your website in its entirety without ever registering, then you have no way of knowing who is using the site, or being able to contact them with news, newsletters, update info, etc.

July 29, 2013 at 4:55 pm
  • Roger
    Roger
    Newbie 8 points

You know, I considered that. But then when I looked out there to see my competition, I found that almost all of them allow unrestricted searches on their sites. We have used some of their ad sites ourselves as we raise Mini Goldendoodles ourselves. Then we decided to create our own ad site. We will get the e-mail lists of breeders and the ad partners we will have, which are what we want. The people who are looking for puppies are generally one time shoppers trying to find a breeder in their area. I do appreciate the suggestion though. Thanks!

I’m hoping that Mark Fail will see this and help out. I keep looking for mistakes that I have made, a key that needs to be turned or something. I am new to WordPress and am learning as I go.

July 30, 2013 at 1:13 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

hi roger

under your wordpress settings -> reading -> ‘our latest posts’ check this is selected and that the drop down boxes for choosing your own are both set to ‘—select—‘ then save.

July 30, 2013 at 2:59 am
  • Roger
    Roger
    Newbie 8 points

Hi Mark, thanks for the suggestion, but that did not work. I hope you understood what I want from the original post here. I want anyone who comes to my website to be able to search the listings that i have and find the type of puppy they are looking for along with the breeder that is advertising. When I log on to the site as an admin or as a regular user that is advertising, the advanced search works perfectly. It brings up exactly what I want it to do. It’s only when you are NOT logged in to an account that it doesn’t work. I have looked over everything bthat I can think of to try and figure out why, but it doesn’t make sense to me. I admit that I am a newbie at WordPress. I hired a friend of mine who knows WordPress very well. He uses WordPress for the websites that he builds and maintains for his business. He is actually the Roger on this post. I logged in with his account. He purchase the Classified Theme for me to build this site. y name is really Rick. Anyway, I am hoping that you can give me a few suggestions to try or even log into my site so you can look and see what, if any, mistakes I have made on this. Thanks!

July 31, 2013 at 3:29 am

• lynn
    Newbie 8 points

As Clive mentioned, is there a way to only allow logged in members to use advanced search?

July 31, 2013 at 11:48 am
  • Roger
    Roger
    Newbie 8 points

Hi Lynn, that’s the way it works now. I have some dummy accounts set up, and if I log into any of them, I can use the Advanced Search and it displays exactly what I want to display. The problem is that I want anybody who comes to the site to be able to use Advanced Search without having to log in. This is a site for breeders to advertise their puppies, and in order for people who want to buy those puppies and to to find them, the Advanced Search is the way to find them where they are looking, such as a state or city within a state. If it takes a separate plug-in to do this, I would be more than willing to get that plug-in, but I would rather use the Advanced Search if possible, as it was very easy to configure. Maybe Mark has some more suggestions to try. Thanks!

July 31, 2013 at 1:42 pm
  • Roger
    Roger
    Newbie 8 points

Mark,
    Do you have any other suggestions? The advanced search still only works for logged in users? If you try to search when not logged in it simply redirects you to the homepage.

http://www.paradeofpuppies.com

August 1, 2013 at 3:00 am
  • Roger
    Roger
    Newbie 8 points

Another question as I’m trying to nail this issue down. While using the advanced search to search through Custom fields, is there anything that would cause the search function to redirect to the homepage?

August 2, 2013 at 1:46 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

you have two keyword boxes, try removing one.

the home page is often WordPress default page if something has gone wrong.

August 2, 2013 at 3:52 am
  • Roger
    Roger
    Newbie 8 points

I had two keyword boxes as I was trying something. What i found was that if you do a straight keyword search from the first box on the top, I was redirected to the homepage. If i used the bottom keyword search, it returned the classified post I was looking for. I have three test posts that I have been using. Doberman Pinscher, Golden retriever and Goldendoodle. If you try one of them you will see what I am talking about. Using the Breed (category list)and State (Custom Field) fields, which based on the ad submissions, I get redirected to the home page. I will get some screen shots of the actual fields that I am using when I get home tonight and attach them in another post here. I really need this to work for visitors who are not logged in who are simply looking for a breeder that is advertising with me.
    Thanks!

August 2, 2013 at 9:21 pm
  • Roger
    Roger
    Newbie 8 points

I decided to attach them early. Here is a word doc with the screen shots of my search settings.

August 2, 2013 at 9:34 pm
  • Roger
    Roger
    Newbie 8 points

Let’s try it again. How about a pdf?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    August 2, 2013 at 9:35 pm
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

would be easier for you to submit a ticket, not much i can do if from a screenshot.

August 3, 2013 at 2:44 am
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team