What is the purpose of {cron job} hourly event

• mark
    mark
    Senior Member 141 points
    September 6, 2016 at 10:55 pm

hi all, after updating to 8.9.6 i notice that things have suddenly change in the Overview section. I notice the following that never appears in any of the themes i have before:
    {cron job} hourly event completed (September 6, 2016 10:18 AM)

can someone tell me what is the purpose of {cron job} hourly event completed in overview; where does this originate from in the theme and how can i disable it so it does not override other important info every hour on the hour daily? Thanks in advance

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,478 points
    September 7, 2016 at 12:47 am

Hello Mark,

It’s basically to run various scheduled tasks for your and/or wordpress functions. For example, publish posts automatically (at a specific time(s)), to update rss feeds and the like… etc.

You should be able to disabled it by placing the following within the wp-config.php file (under the top header is fine):

/** Disable Cron */
    define('DISABLE_WP_CRON', true);
  • mark
    mark
    Senior Member 141 points
    September 9, 2016 at 4:18 am

thanks James for your info i will test it and see the outcome then get back to you: i still do not see or understand the purpose of having it in the theme overview and does the theme really need it seeing everything was working okay up to 8.9.4 and before

to me all it does at the moment is override more important daily and hourly activity and info that is associated with the website.

btw do you know if this info will tamper with other performance or functions within the theme?

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,478 points
    September 9, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Hi Mark,

i still do not see or understand the purpose of having it in the theme overview

Sorry, not following. Where in the overview are you seeing this?

btw do you know if this info will tamper with other performance or functions within the theme?

Kind of a trick question, since there are a few variables involved. It shouldn’t tamper with anything. Overall performance with it running is probably the biggest concern.

The WP Cron is used, so it can have an impact any time it runs… whether WP action related or theme action related (not exclusive to PremiumPress). Ultimately it depends on the task, frequency it runs, amount of data to process, how resource intensive the action is it’s trying to complete and server resources available to handle said action.

Automation is the key use of it, otherwise people would need to login to their WP account to manually handle each action. It can be considered a love/hate thing I guess, but it usually saves people time and helps with a (potentially) smoother automated process (overall). 🙂

Hope this helps.

This reply was awarded the best answer by the topic poster.
  • mark
    mark
    Senior Member 141 points
    September 10, 2016 at 6:47 am

Sorry, not following. Where in the overview are you seeing this?

hi James enclosed is two images to show you what i am asking; this begins to appear after upgrading to the latest version, see images never seen this happen in the theme before and it is kind of strange to know why (cron job) would appear there and it does not even sync with the correct hourly time

thanks for reply

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    September 11, 2016 at 6:26 am

The overview section of recent activity simply shows you whats happening in the background, since the WordPress cron also runs every hows the notification is simply to let you know that this action has been performed.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    September 11, 2016 at 6:27 am

Iv disabled the display of this cron in future updates so not to confuse users.

• mark
    mark
    Senior Member 141 points
    September 12, 2016 at 4:15 am

thanks Mark for your reply it gives me a better understanding of what is going on: to me the original way was much better at least you can see things more clearly and they do not get override every hour

thanks also once again James for your time and effort, appreciate it

• Colette
    Newbie 16 points
    September 12, 2016 at 6:51 pm

It was also a question that interested me. Thanks Mark for the future update that will stop this cron.
    This Forum is top top top !
    Have a good evening
    And thank you Mark and Mark !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes