Thoughts about Multisite?

• CTK
    CTK
    Newbie 26 points
    August 4, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Our plan is to create separate directories for different cities – each city would have its one listings and database. Is multisite the way to go? Any input or experience on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 5, 2013 at 3:20 am

yes multi site is the way to go but i dont see why you would need to create a site for different cities, why couldnt u have 1 for all?

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 5, 2013 at 8:51 am

Mark, having multiple directories for different cities serves many purposes. It makes the navigation for visitors much easier as if visitor is looking for local business they don’t want to see listings from somewhere thousands miles away. It also gives more exposure to the businesses that want to list on the site.
    Each site can also have section for local news, events etc.
    All this would not be possible with just a single site.

• CTK
    CTK
    Newbie 26 points
    August 5, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Would multisite still be ok even if each city/area were to have its own database?

• Clive
    Clive
    Newbie 15 points
    August 5, 2013 at 5:13 pm

This is an issue I grappled with for ages, and finally decided not to go with multisite. The advantage of multisite is easy segmentation into geographical areas, so all searches within each sub-site are automatically “local”, and it is good for SEO too. However, what if you live on the border of two geographical areas – you then have to search two different sub-sites? What if you are at the join of three geographical areas – the site is becoming very difficult for you to use now? What if you would like to do a “distance search” from where you live, but you are on three join of three geographical areas – it won’t work? You’ll have to do it three times on three different sub-sites.

Also, in designing the site, where do you draw the lines for different geographical areas – this can be quite a challenge? How many sub-sites will you end up with? What if you want to do an update which affects all sites. If you have 20, 30, 40 or more sub-sites for different cities or areas, this becomes a mammoth task, depending upon what the update is (as mulitsite does have a lot of central updating affecting all sites the same).

In the end, I decided to use Categories to create my geographical subdivisions, which would enable easy navigation to a particular area, and to ensure that the permalink URLs contained the location info. This also created a one-off mammoth task, which I still have not completed (600 Listings to be re-Categorised) but I’m convinced it was the best way forward.

See my site at: http://www.you-food.co.uk

• Clive
    Clive
    Newbie 15 points
    August 5, 2013 at 5:14 pm

With multisite every sub-site does have a separate database, I believe.

• Mark
    Mark
    Newbie 84 points
    August 5, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Multisites use one database. There are extra tables created for each site.

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    August 5, 2013 at 7:52 pm

And also share the plugins and theme installations – which means that when you do update, all the subsites get updated at the same time.
    It is also possible to have the main site being a ‘gateway’ for the subsites and show content from all the subsites or even search the subsites (with the use of appropriate plugins).
    It all depends on how does your business operate. If you want to have your sites to cover specific cities – it is then up to the businesses to get listed in the correct subsite (depending on which area they would like to cover).
    It is like if you have a printed paper directory – you have different one for each city – but the listings there are not just from the city itself, but also from surrounding areas.
    So visitors will automatically go to the directory they feel would contain the listings for the area they are looking for. So if they live near London, they would not expect listings from Birmingham to be there.
    You may actually get more sales, as if some business want to get listed on more subsites, they have to pay for each.

• CTK
    CTK
    Newbie 26 points
    August 6, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Thanks for everyone’s Feedback on this!

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    August 7, 2013 at 12:09 am

🙂

• Saurabh
    Saurabh
    Newbie 7 points
    June 27, 2014 at 8:59 am

Hi Mark,
    How can I enable multisite in my responsive classifieds.
    I need to enable the site for multiple cities.
    Do I need to hire a developer or can it be customised from within the theme itself ?

Regards,
    Saurabh.

• Alex Morgan
    Alex Morgan
    Super Guru 1,111 points
    June 27, 2014 at 9:12 am

Hi Saurabh,

You will need to enable the multi site on your wordpress not from the theme. You can check wordpress codex for this: https://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

• Manuel J
    Manuel J
    Newbie 55 points
    November 17, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Hello Clive. My name is Manuel. Today is Nov/17/2014. Do you still feel the same way about multisites? I’m going to set a store (amazon imported products) as multisite it would be sub sites for electronics, home and garden, auto parts and so. As you are doing now would be a parent category and the sub and sub-sub categories as needed for each market. Could you give me your point of view as today? My Directories are https://boricuausa.com and here you can click the links to the other directories (they are not multisites) I went to your website. Where you got the listings carousel you use? Or did you modified yourself for fix height and small images? Hope you can reply with your opinion.

• Manuel J
    Manuel J
    Newbie 55 points
    November 17, 2014 at 11:45 pm

I have read here I think that if I use multisite configuration it uses a lot of resources and host provider will ask me to use a VP or private serve account. Is this true? I see you talk about many sites with the same purpose like each region sites. Do multi works if they are sub sites each a different amazon products catalog and sub/sub-subs? Works with a Directory theme directory a restaurant child directory and a real estate theme directory?

• Jacob
    Jacob
    Newbie 9 points
    November 17, 2014 at 11:53 pm

What is the best plugin recommendation when using multi-site to use different themes for different sites within a multi-site. I want to build my premiumpress directory into a sub site of a website that is not a directory at all…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes