Jason

Theme setup changes saves reverts home page content to default??

This is maddening, wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and what they did to resolve. So in theme setup -> page setup -> Home Page - edit page content, I had modified all of the content for the page. I spent over an hour trying coming up with content, and didn't even think to save it elsewhere. Anyhow, I saved the changes, then at some point went and modified something in theme setup and as I was testing the front end to view the change, my homepage content was COMPLETELY LOST and reverted back to the default theme content!! Further testing reveals this happens EVERY SINGLE TIME I make any change within theme setup. I highly doubt others are experiencing this, or that this is not the norm, as that is a HUGE issue. Anyone else encounter this and a fix/work-around? Thanks!

Created: January 25, 2018 at 4:01 pm
  • In: Directory Theme
  • Started by: JasonJason
  • 4 members left 7 comments
  • Last reply from: JamesDJamesD

• JamesD
    JamesD
    January 26, 2018 at 12:35 am

Hi Jason,

I believe I was able to replicate the issue you’re running into.

Here’s what I’ve discovered:
    After making changes to the “Edit Page Content” section, then clicking the ‘Save Changes’ button you’ll notice it it will actually save..

HOWEVER, if you’re a good toad (like myself) and do what you think you’re suppose to do, by saving the whole page settings, then you’ll probably click the ‘Save Changes’ for the whole admin page.

This is actually the problem. DO NOT click the button for the whole page settings only the button in the popover. You can always reload the page or navigate away then go back and you’ll see it saved.

I have no clue as to why it does this, but it is rather strange.

• Charles
    Charles
    January 28, 2018 at 11:41 am

Hi guys, the same issue happens to us.
    This could be a bug and I am sure Mark already have it on schedule to squash it. Hopefully.

• Jason
    Jason
    January 29, 2018 at 11:02 pm

JamesD, not quite…

To clarify:

In WPAdmin, I select Theme Setup from left nav.

Under theme settings I select the Page setup tab. for home page, I click the green “Edit Page Content” button, which brings up an editor in a page overly. Here I modify any content for the homepage, any content, doesn’t matter. So for example, in area “Main Banner Block” I modify Title text to say “my Website” instead of the default “Welcome to our Website”. I then click the green “Save changes” button in the overlay editor. The overly editor appears to have saved the content, but now I have to click the x in top right corner of overly editor to close that editor. Now if I open that editor again by repeating those steps, the content is indeed still saved. HOWEVER…

Now I go back to General Setup as I wish to change my site logo lets say, or a page button link. Say I change the Blog page to Contact for example. Now I have to save that change, so I do so…good, thats saved…

Now I decide to continue editting homepage content, so I go back to the page setup tab, click the “Edit page content” green button for the homepage, and low and behold, my title text now reads “Welcome to our Website”, the default!

I’ve tried in latest versions of Chrome, IE and Firefox, all the same outcome.

If this is still not clear, I can certainly make a quick video showing the issue.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    January 29, 2018 at 11:22 pm

“…Now if I open that editor again by repeating those steps, the content is indeed still saved. HOWEVER…”
    Yes, I understand what you’re experiencing, but what I do actually saves it.

A couple questions…

“Now I go back to General Setup”
    Did you go directly to “General Setup” tab or another tab without the page actually refreshing? The main jist of the fix (at least in my case) is that the page must be reloaded before making any other changes within the “Theme Setup” tabs area.

Also, have you tried making changes under “Design Setup > Home Page” by clicking on the green “Customize” button?

• Jason
    Jason
    January 30, 2018 at 10:07 pm

The page refresh as you mentioned did it, but I find that very strange. I mean, I understand how it works, but that is not user friendly at all. When a user closes a form after having saved changes, assuming that changes were actually saved would be the norm and acceptable. This is what I would term a “work around”. Thanks!

• saidireddy
    February 10, 2018 at 12:39 am

Hi,

I am also facing the same problem,

i created a banner and uploaded, but on top of the banner the default text and buttons are showing.

i deleted from design setup and theme setup as well.

but still the same error.

Thank you.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    February 10, 2018 at 5:17 am

Hello saidireddy,

The solution is stated above.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)