Rename Site Sections

• Dan
    Dan
    Newbie 4 points
    September 7, 2013 at 10:30 am

In the Responsive DirectoryPress, I am using the Blog section for only one purpose: to display user feedback. I would like to rename the Blog section to something like, “User Feedback”. I want visitors to see User Feedback instead of BLOG wherever it is referenced in the site, e.g., in the header above blog posts, in the breadcrumbs, etc.

• Sandra
    Sandra
    Senior Member 265 points
    September 8, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Do you mean the posts section for the blog? If so as you create a page you can call it whatever you want and input whatever url you want. Is this where you are using?

• Dan
    Dan
    Newbie 4 points
    September 10, 2013 at 5:52 am

Thanks for the comment,Sandra. Not exactly; in the DirectoryPress, there are Listings and there are Posts in the Blog. Technically, they are both posts as far as WordPress is concerned, but the theme differentiates between the two.
    The blog posts are not what I am trying to change. It is the actual name, “BLOG” that is displayed on the header above the blog postings and also in the site’s breadcrumbs that I would like to rename. In the Menu, Mark HAS put the ability to change the name of the blog to whatever you wish, and I’ve done that. But there must be a work-around to rename the blog portion of the theme to something else, even if I must do it in code.
    I’ve attached a screenshot of my site with the BLOG showing and you can see that I’ve renamed it to “SELLER RATINGS” in the main menu at the top.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • Chue
    Chue
    Senior Member 240 points
    September 10, 2013 at 6:34 am

Is the Seller Ratings menu a WordPress category or you are using a special plug-in to create content for Seller Ratings menu? Also, check your Yoast WordPress SEO plugin setting too.

• Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points
    September 10, 2013 at 8:14 am

Just create a WordPress page called ‘Seller Ratings’ and assign the [blog] page template to it. Then delete the ‘Blog’ page and use the ‘Seller Ratings’ page instead.

Kind regards,

Richard

• Dan
    Dan
    Newbie 4 points
    September 11, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Thank you Richard! Very simple, clean idea. I will try that shortly.

UPDATE: I tried and everything works great except this: I am using code to automatically insert a new post each time a user registers. I name the post, [username] “seller rating”. In this way, I can place a hyperlink from the post body to the unique rating post where I have a star rating and buyer comments.
    Now, when I have the new Seller Rating page with the Blog template, the code doesn’t know to create the new post. Maybe you can help me figure out which key I could alter to direct the post to the new section not the non-existent Blog. Here’s (most of) the code:

// Setup the author, slug, and title for the post
    $author_id = $uid; // this is the author #
    $slug = $uname.’ Seller Rating’;
    $title = $uname.’ Seller Rating’;

// If the page doesn’t already exist, then create it
    if( null == get_page_by_title( $title ) ) {

// Set the post ID so that we know the post was created successfully
    $post_id = wp_insert_post(
    array(
    ‘comment_status’ => ‘open’,
    ‘ping_status’ => ‘closed’,
    ‘post_author’ => $author_id,
    ‘post_name’ => $slug,
    ‘post_title’ => $title,
    ‘post_status’ => ‘publish’,
    ‘post_type’ => ‘post’,
    ‘post_category’ => ‘seller ratings’
    )
    );

• Dan
    Dan
    Newbie 4 points
    September 16, 2013 at 4:25 am

SOLVED: There turned out to be no problem with the new page that was built from the BLOG template; it accepted the links built by the custom code just as the blog had done. The problem turned out to be the plugin that I was using to create the star ratings. It was not creating the ratings on the blog or the new page until I reset it. Now, it creates the ratings on both of the pages and I just put the BLOG into draft status so all is OK and users see the “Seller Ratings” page now.
    Thanks, Richard, for the idea and method.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 13,013 points
    September 16, 2013 at 4:30 am

thanks for sharing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes