Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
Ahmed

Real Bid Amounts, Please Please.

if a new user bid with any number say "100000000000000" it is accepted. and the auction tells him that he is the highest bidder. then the same user can refresh and type the bid amount+1 before he entered the fake number, the auction displays you've been outbid!!.. anyone can try it. can we please please make the bidding amount is based on categories, like the profit share based on listings??? please please please :'(

Created: May 27, 2014 at 6:05 pm

• Ahmed
    Ahmed
    July 30, 2014 at 8:22 pm

mark is totally ignoring all of us 😀

• Clive
    Clive
    July 30, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Ahmed, this is a COMMUNITY FORUM where ordinary users help one another.

If your problem isn’t resolved here, you MUST open a support ticket: https://www.premiumpress.com/ticket/

• glendon
    glendon
    July 30, 2014 at 8:54 pm

He already replied to my comment on here with a decent solution “Let the system bid based on maximums”, which is exactly the way it SHOULD work. I have no idea where his last comment went, or why we were even complaining in the first place.

Once a maximum bid amount is set, the system already bids up to that maximum… what difference does it make if it’s done in increments of 5, 10, or 20 dollar amounts!?!?

• Angela
    Angela
    August 3, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Maximum bid and Bid increments serve different purposes. That’s why they are both pretty standard features in live and online auctions and why many people in this forum and on the ideas board have indicated that the bid increment feature would be great to have on the PP theme. While maximum bidding does work as pointed out above (if used by a bidder), this is not the only reason or benefit of having a bid increment feature. From what I have read in previous posts/threads on bid increments, it was indicated that this feature is “on the list” for consideration.

• glendon
    glendon
    August 3, 2014 at 3:45 pm

I may be new to making websites, but I’ve been a live auctioneer for almost 20 years. I can assure you, if I’m selling “Example A” and start the bidding at “$10”, it doesn’t matter what the bid increments are… the bidder has a maximum amount in mind and the increments make no difference. Within reason.

If I stood there selling a $10,000 item in $1 bid increments… the crowd would get tired of continuously bidding to their maximum. However, in this case the system does ALL the work for them. Instantly. So what is the advantage of having bid increments on your site?

Sorry if I’m missing something blatantly obvious. I haven’t got much sleep this week. 😛

• Angela
    Angela
    August 4, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Well, I can’t claim to be an auction expert….but I do think we are each looking for a solution to a different problem/need. Your request seems to have been related to how to minimize bidders having to place multiple $1 bids. The max bidding feature is specifically designed for this and solves your issue. That’s great!!!!!

The thing is that others on the thread might have had different reasons for wanting the bid increment feature….reasons that were not related to nor solved by max bidding. For me, the bid increments feature offers benefits alongside max bidding….pricing dynamics, auction strategy and, ultimately, maximizing revenue. Someone else on this thread mentioned wanting to be able to set bid increments by category which could be very beneficial and which would not be solved with max bidding. Another didn’t give a specific reason for why she would like bid increments. So when you wrote that max bidding is “exactly the way it SHOULD work. I have no idea…why we were even complaining in the first place”, I wanted to ensure there was no assumption made, based on your comments, that the issue/need was solved for all. The only thing we know for sure is that is was solved for you. And that’s great!!!

• glendon
    glendon
    August 7, 2014 at 6:46 pm

*still doesn’t get it* (mostly because you’ve been unable to provide the requested example of it’s benefit)And that’s OK!!!

I was hoping to understand your position in case something I actually needed was overlooked…

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    August 8, 2014 at 3:03 am

This has always been a tough one to please everyone, some people want it one way and some another. Il try and add on/off options into a later update but it’ll be a while as it requires re-coding the entire setup.

• Angela
    Angela
    August 8, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Exactly Mark! It is a feature that some want and some don’t care about. In other programs that offer this feature, it is optional to use. Thanks for continuing to try to find a way to make this work Mark! It’s much appreciated.

Glendon, I did provide an answer to your question “what is the advantage of having bid increments on your site?” (with the key advantage for me being maximizing revenue). Instead of me trying to explain how it can be used for this purpose, you are probably better off checking the web. There is lots of great information about online auction strategy, bidder psychology and how bid increments and proxy bidding can work together to impact final auction values. How and why others use or would like to use this feature may differ…this is just what I see as an advantage.

• Ed
    Ed
    August 8, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Glendon,

I’m with you as a licensed bonded Auctioneer. I don’t understand the upper hand or advantages associated with the need for the feature. It would have been nice to get an explanation and example and use of the feature(s) needed.

I looked for examples on internet but all deal with Bid Sniping, Proxy Bidding, Low-Ball Bidding, Buy it Now, Bid Nibbling, and Squatting.

Items will be sold absolute or non-absolute with a starting bid and or possibly a reserve.

Thanks for explanation.

• glendon
    glendon
    August 12, 2014 at 7:24 am

I’m on a government surplus site and they use this feature that extends the auction by 3 minutes, every time someone bids within the last 3 minutes of the auction. They realize most people(nowadays) wait out the auction’s length and snipe the item in the last minutes.

They’ve totally ruined the killer deals we used to get. Now THAT’S a feature that maximizes revenue and makes the experience more like a real auction. I’ve been racking my brain to figure her position…

even still, if I want to buy a shipping container full of seized goods and I’ve calculated the MAX I can pay(while still turning a profit on resale) is $14 grand… it doesn’t matter what increments get me to my MAX.

Anyhow, I’ve given up partaking in the debate about it with her. I don’t understand and that’s perfectly fine because AFAIK I don’t need it:P

• Ahmed
    Ahmed
    August 12, 2014 at 10:15 am

we are talking about a feature that a bidding website won’t work without it.

bidding increments are only by “1” which would make it the most boring bidding on earth :D.

for the 1 increments that would better get converted to penny auction script and make it 1c.

check webid free script how they addressed this issue.

we need a solution it has been months since we got a promise for this feature.

• Ahmed
    Ahmed
    August 12, 2014 at 10:16 am

Increments

• Angela
    Angela
    August 12, 2014 at 2:04 pm

Glendon, Not sure where this became a “debate” for you. It certainly wasn’t for me. We all have different business models and will have different needs. We also all have different backgrounds and areas of expertise and may view things differently. I didn’t suggest you should want, nor use, this feature…I simply wanted to ensure your earlier comments didn’t lead to the conclusion the feature was no longer wanted/needed by others.

I have also been a key supporter of having the soft close (time extend) feature added to PP AT.

Copyright © 2010-2020 PremiumPress Limited.

secure payments