Ask the community

This is a community support forum where you can ask
questions and interact with other PremiumPress Customers.

Real Bid Amounts, Please Please.

• Ahmed
    Ahmed
    Senior Member 125 points
    May 27, 2014 at 6:05 pm

if a new user bid with any number say “100000000000000” it is accepted. and the auction tells him that he is the highest bidder. then the same user can refresh and type the bid amount+1 before he entered the fake number, the auction displays you’ve been outbid!!..

anyone can try it.

can we please please make the bidding amount is based on categories, like the profit share based on listings???

please please please :'(

• Carla
    Carla
    Newbie 11 points
    May 27, 2014 at 6:49 pm

this is definitely an issue. I have been working on this theme over a month to personalize it but find too many inconsistencies. I may need to count up my investment purchase of this template as a loss and use sitemile….dont want to do that but I am running into dead ends. Here is a list of needs that are not being met from this template:

1. NO RESPONSE TO MY HELP TOPICS
    2. NO WAY TO SELECT NEXT BID AMOUNT – NEED A FIELD TO SELECT IT, NOT A PHP MAZE
    3. NO WAY TO SEE WHO ALL IS BIDDING ON A PARTICULAR ITEM. THIS IS IMPORTANT.
    4. NO WAY TO BULK EMAIL ALL WHO BID ON A PARTICULAR ITEM. THIS IS IMPORTANT.
    5. NO WAY TO INVOICE BIDDER OUTSIDE OF PAYMENT GATEWAY PLUGINS. NOT ALL BIDDERS USE PAYPAL AND i WOULD LIKE TO USE MY CC MACHINE – NOT PAY A GATEWAY TO TAKE 2.3% ON TOP OF MY CHARGE.
    6. AUCTIONS THAT EXPIRE RESTART THEMSELVES 30 DAY DEFAULT IF YOU GO LOOK AT IT ON THE EDIT SIDE
    8. NO WAY TO CREATE NEW USER THAT BYPASSES THE ‘LISTING PACKAGES’. I WOULD LIKE TO CREATE NEW USER WITH BASIC CREDENTIALS THAT ALLOW THEM WP BACKEND WHERE THEY CAN UPLOAD THEIR OWN LISTINGS THEN WHEN ITEM IS SOLD, I THE ADMIN CAN EMAIL THE BIDDER FOR PAYMENT, AND ALL THE OTHER BIDDERS. ALSO WOULD LIKE TO SEE PREVIOUS AUCTIONS.

IT SEEMS LIKE A LONG LIST BUT AFTER LOOKING AT OTHER AUCTION SITE SOFTWARE THIS IS STANDARD FEATURES…NEED SOME HELP MR. FAIL IF YOU CAN COME THROUGH ON A PLUGIN INVOICE THAT POPULATES WINNING BIDDER THAT WOULD BE AWESOME….HOW MUCH ??? PLEASE HELP. TY, CARLA

• Angela
    Angela
    Newbie 68 points
    May 28, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Carla,

The “problem” is that everyone has a different idea of what is important. Unfortunately, it would be impossible to have the program be all things to all people. For example, I feel the two biggest missing pieces are a bid increment feature (be able to set the next bid increment instead of it always being $1) and a soft close feature which would make it like a real auction where the bidding continues until the last person bids. I was quoted huge dollars to have these features added to my PP site. However, Sitemile has these features as standard. The thing is, I actually started out with Sitemile but after struggling for a couple of weeks to do some really basic things, I switched over to PP even though it lacked some of what I consider key features. Having used both, here is what I have found:

– PP has a much better support forum and I have found response times to my support tickets to be well within acceptable timelines. My experience at Sitemile was not as good.
    – PP is much more user friendly for the non-developer
    – Standard PP is much more aesthetically pleasing than Sitemile (and that’s important for my business)

While SiteMile does have more functionality, it trails behind PP in other ways. For example, changing language in PP is easy….not so much so with Sitemile. I still review the Sitemile forums and know there are a lot of dissatisfied users. While functionality issues are on-going, one of the key complaints is the lack of support. They have virtually no support documents and don’t waste your time looking for video tutorials because you won’t find any. One of the biggest threads on their support forum is about why there are no support documents. It is a HUGE problem for users with no/limited experience in building a site.

Having used both Sitemile and PP, my experience has led me to the conclusion that, for me, it is better to sacrifice some functionality in the short term in order to have better support, a user friendly interface and a developer who works at getting the basics right. Having more functionality is not necessarily better when it was done by sacrificing some of the basics.

I know you are frustrated…and I don’t want you to feel I am minimizing that because I totally understand how you feel. I just wanted to provide a perspective, from my experience, that “the grass isn’t always greener on the other side”.

Angela

• Raffaele
    Raffaele
    Newbie 22 points
    May 29, 2014 at 11:24 pm

I agree with Angela, I have both PP and Sitemile.
    I started with PP then because it didn’t quite do some things the way I liked I went out and purchased Sitemile.
    If your experienced at coding and know how to change things in the back end then Sitemile’s not too bad…but most of the customisation you want to do is in the back end, modifying files etc, it makes it very difficult to achieve a suitable looking site. And support is quite vague and documentation and how to’s is practically non-existent. The site feel, look and ease of use when created on sitemile is no where near as good as with PP, and with PP you get a very pleasing site quickly and easily straight out of the box, and the support structure and documentation in PP is very good.
    But I must say they both have their limitations, and Im really starting to doubt that either can be reliably used in a proper commercial venture, not quickly anyway and not without a lot of back end changes.
    It would be an interesting statistic to see how many of these themes have actually been successfully used in a commercial enterprise.
    Anyway so far I havnt been able to get a site working to my satisfaction with either, I try things and I get too many inconsistencies….so I continue to play and work at it, with both SM and PP. Hopefully one will work for me.

• Raffaele
    Raffaele
    Newbie 22 points
    May 29, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Just one more thing, when you consider it, the auction theme would have to be one of the most difficult ones to create and get right, with all the backwards and forwarding, info here and there, additions, subtractions…etc etc, theres just so many variables and things happening, all the other themes must be a walk in the park in comparison. So its a great job what they have achieved and continually try to improve.

• Ahmed
    Ahmed
    Senior Member 125 points
    May 31, 2014 at 2:59 pm

the way that makes me very sad, is that everything anyone ever dreamed about for an auction engine, Mark did it but in the non-responsive design.
    hope Mark can replicate full features from the old design to the new design.
    please Mark.

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    June 1, 2014 at 4:59 am

im happy to look into adding new features and/or adjusting new ones but you need to post them on the ideas board. The forum is very difficult to judge what people want as there are just too much feedback.

Add your idea, get the votes and it’ll get added.

http://ideas.premiumpress.com

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    June 1, 2014 at 5:01 am

“can we please please make the bidding amount is based on categories, like the profit share based on listings???”

how is this possible, for the average customer they want their site setup quickly. they dont want to spend hours entering a bid per category.

• Angela
    Angela
    Newbie 68 points
    June 2, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Bid increment feature has been on the ideas board for a while…..and I recall reading posts where you said it was going to be done for a future release. Is this still on your agenda Mark?

Soft close (extended time) has also been on the idea board for a while but hasn’t gained much traction yet. If anyone else thinks this is an important feature, please vote for it! Thanks.
    :)

• Ahmed
    Ahmed
    Senior Member 125 points
    June 3, 2014 at 1:26 pm

ok Mark i agree with you, but a good prepare comes back with the goodies. i dont mind spending a month preparing a website that would be huge oneday, anyway anything other than the unlimited and the “1” bid increment is needed.

• Ahmed
    Ahmed
    Senior Member 125 points
    June 3, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Dears vote for this idea, i think it might fulfill our needs.

http://ideas.premiumpress.com/idea/more-options-in-dashboard/

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,822 points
    June 4, 2014 at 2:32 am

np, ill keep an eye out

• Ahmed
    Ahmed
    Senior Member 125 points
    June 5, 2014 at 7:18 pm

Thanks Mark i know it will be a walk in the park to you. thanks a lot :)
    cause i ran away from sitemile because of your creativity please don’t let me/us down :)

• Ahmed
    Ahmed
    Senior Member 125 points
    June 20, 2014 at 1:45 pm

any news???

• Ahmed
    Ahmed
    Senior Member 125 points
    July 13, 2014 at 9:40 pm

any news??? still we do not see any updates limiting the bid amounts??

i’ve seen on webid something like this

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)