Order Results By – Sorting error

WordPress Business Themes Forums General Discussion Order Results By – Sorting error

Order Results By – Sorting error

August 1, 2013
Michael Michael
  • Michael
    Michael
    Senior Member 141 points

Hello,
    I am trying to sort listings by average score (using WP-PostRating plugin and sorting feature from General Setup panel).
    The score range is 0 to 10.
    For some reason the sorting doesn’t recognize double digits and sees the score “10” as “1”. So the scores go like that : 9, 7.5, 6.2, 4.5, 10, 0.5, 0.

Does anyone know how to fix this error ?

Thanks.

August 1, 2013 at 12:17 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

iv seen this before with WordPress, it doesnt seem to like 10 (it assumes 1) have you tried 10.1?

August 1, 2013 at 12:35 am
  • Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points

this is happening if you are sorting custom fields using orderby=meta_value instead of orderby=meta_value_num as it is otherwise ordering numbers as alphabet (and in that case 1 and 10 would follow each other).
    orderby=meta_value – ordering by alphabet
    orderby=meta_value_num – numeric ordering

Here is the explanation from WordPress Codex:

‘meta_value’ – Note that a ‘meta_key=keyname’ must also be present in the query. Note also that the sorting will be alphabetical which is fine for strings (i.e. words), but can be unexpected for numbers (e.g. 1, 3, 34, 4, 56, 6, etc, rather than 1, 3, 4, 6, 34, 56 as you might naturally expect). Use ‘meta_value_num’ instead for numeric values.
    ‘meta_value_num’ – Order by numeric meta value (available with Version 2.8). Also note that a ‘meta_key=keyname’ must also be present in the query. This value allows for numerical sorting as noted above in ‘meta_value’.

Kind regards,

Richard

August 1, 2013 at 1:04 am
  • Michael
    Michael
    Senior Member 141 points

I tried to put into the extra field a few variations:
    &orderby=meta_value_number&meta_key=keyname
    &orderby=meta_value_num&meta_key=keyname
    &meta_value_num=yes&meta_key=keyname

None of them seem to work :(

August 1, 2013 at 3:18 am
  • Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points

I don’t think you can change the ‘orderby’ as it is hardcoded in the class_design.php.
    I think Mark should add a new tick box to select whether the field is numeric or not and modify the orderby accordingly.

August 1, 2013 at 9:58 am
  • Michael
    Michael
    Senior Member 141 points

I don’t think you can change the ‘orderby’ as it is hardcoded in the class_design.php.
    I think Mark should add a new tick box to select whether the field is numeric or not and modify the orderby accordingly.

So Mark, can this issue be fixed?

August 1, 2013 at 3:49 pm
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team