Installing themes to Multisite

WordPress Business Themes Forums General Discussion Installing themes to Multisite

Installing themes to Multisite

July 9, 2013
Andy Andy
  • Andy
    Andy
    Newbie 66 points

Hi,

Can anyone one tell the simpliest way to install PP themes to my WordPress multisite.
    I have purchased the V.I.P theme package so have all the PP themes, but am struggling to figure out how to install a couple of them?

July 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm
  • Brandon
    Brandon
    Titan 709 points

Andy I do not understand the question.

Do you have multiply Domain names and trying to install PP Theme on each Domain name.

July 10, 2013 at 5:13 am
  • Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points

@Brandon – Andy is running his WordPress as ‘Multisite’ – that means just one WordPress installation / one database / one domain – but multiple sites.

@Andy – you have to go to your ‘Network Admin’ to install the themes and after installation you have to ‘Network Activate’ them so they appear in the theme selection in each of your site’s admin sections.

Kind regards,

Richard

July 10, 2013 at 8:41 am
  • Narender Kumar
    Narender Kumar
    Senior Member 273 points

Richard just want to know more About multisite. Why the concept. Don’t understand one domain multiple sites. Why?

Regards,

July 10, 2013 at 9:18 am
  • Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points

@Narender … it allows you to run multiple wordpress installations/sites independently but sharing certain resources (themes/plugins/database) on one domain. If multiple domain-names are not important, this is a wonderful/easy/resourceful way to run many “websites” on a single domain and managing them from a central point.
    (go Google it. It opens a WORLD of opportunities)

In “our” case it allows for things like having one domain-name but running DirectoryPress, ShopperPress, ClassifiedPress, etc. etc. on the same domain, all independent (installed in individual sub-directories) but with the advantage of having “one login can access all sites” for admin (you) and your visitors/users. etc.

PS. You can however also run multiple domains and/or sub-domains on a multisite system if you want. Hope this ps. doesnt confuse you :)

July 10, 2013 at 9:57 am
  • Andy
    Andy
    Newbie 66 points

Thanks for the replies.

Richard, I have looked for the ‘Network Admin’ option on the backend of my site but it is nowhere to be seen!
    If I understand correctly, it should be on the top left of my admin screen under ‘My Sites’ but it isn’t there.

Just a thought, I have recently changed my username/password for added security … surely that wouldn’t cause the ‘Network Admin’ option to disappear?!?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    July 10, 2013 at 6:24 pm
  • Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points

If you mouse-over “My Sites” (black/grey top menu) does Network Admin not show?

July 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm
  • Andy
    Andy
    Newbie 66 points

Hi Henk,

No, just the name of my site “The Good Lab Guide” appears (my screenshot didn’t show that)
    Having googled what I should be seeing ie;’Network Admin’… it definitely is not there.

July 10, 2013 at 6:34 pm
  • Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points

Go to Users > open YOUR profile and see that you are a SuperAdmin

July 10, 2013 at 6:37 pm
  • Andy
    Andy
    Newbie 66 points

There doesn’t appear to be any option or mention of superadmin in ‘Your Profile’ or even when I go to ‘All Users’ > Change Role To …, admin seems to be the highest option … I’m stumped!

July 10, 2013 at 7:00 pm
  • Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points

This may be of some help … http://agreda.com/2013/04/how-to-change-wordpress-admin-username/

Do you have a new site and can re-install or is it already seeded with data?

July 10, 2013 at 7:17 pm
  • Andy
    Andy
    Newbie 66 points

I have already been working on it for a couple of months I’m afraid, I have only recently decided to opt for the multisite option through necessity.

I have read the article you mentioned, it looks promising. I think I’ll give my web hosting company a call tomorrow to run me through the whole cPanel part of changing my username/password.
    Thanks for your time & help Henk :)

July 10, 2013 at 7:48 pm
  • Henk
    Henk
    Senior Member 279 points

You’re welcome. Cheers …

July 10, 2013 at 7:51 pm
  • Andy
    Andy
    Newbie 66 points

Problem solved.
    When I changed my username & password, my super admin facility was affected!

For anyone that may find themselves in the same situation, here’s how I solved the problem:

cPanel > phpMyAdmin > wp_sitemeta table > site admin field

find value like this:

a:1:{i:0;s:5:”admin”;}

The 5 means my username has 5 characters, admin is username. Change to whatever your new changed username is.

Log out of your site, then log back in and fingers crossed … you have Network Admin back!

July 11, 2013 at 4:30 pm
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team