Guide – What theme to use?

WordPress Business Themes Forums General Discussion Guide – What theme to use?

Guide – What theme to use?

July 10, 2013
Richard Bonk Richard Bonk
  • Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points

I often find that many people are not clear on what theme to use for their website so I have decided to give little bit of clarification.

DirectoryPress – is a directory listing theme – used for instances where you want businesses or people to list their information (similar to yell.com)

ClassifiedsTheme – as the name suggests, is a classifieds theme – used for posting ads like buying or selling cars or a kitten – (similar to gumtree.com)

RealtorPress – used for property type website – for buying / selling and letting out properties – (similar to rightmove.com)

ShopperPress – your online store for selling own or affiliate goods.

CouponPress – coupons and discounts website

Look at the full list of themes and their intended use:
    http://www.premiumpress.com/premium-wordpress-themes/

The problem is that some people just want their site to do ‘everything’ and then start in a very complicated way to ‘hack’ DirectoryPress to also work for jobs, classifieds, events, properties, coupons and selling products etc.

Please don’t do that!!!

It will make the site too complicated for visitors and customers to use and also add enormous development and management costs.

If you can’t get away from running a ‘single theme’ website and require other theme functionalities, then rather than ‘botching’ DirectoryPress or other theme, setup WordPress as a multisite and thus benefit from having a site with theme developed for specific purpose.

Kind regards,

Richard

July 10, 2013 at 1:32 pm
  • Narender Kumar
    Narender Kumar
    Senior Member 273 points

Hi Richard I hear a lot about multisite. Can you just give a brief idea about it . what/why/how. I have googled about it but not really very clear.

Best Regards,

July 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm
  • Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points

I will try to put something together, but there is no definite answer. It might work or be suitable for someone but might not for someone else. You should always look at it by analysing your situation.

You would possibly use it in situations where you need to have multiple websites that you want to manage from one single place (rather than having multiple databases and multiple logins).

July 10, 2013 at 2:41 pm
  • Errol
    Errol
    Super Guru 2,708 points

Hey Richard – Just want to get a clearer understanding… Is the new Responsive Directory Theme an upgrade to DirectoryPress are a different theme altogether?

Kind Regards,
    Errol

July 10, 2013 at 5:02 pm
  • Richard Bonk
    Richard Bonk
    Super Guru 2,739 points

The new Responsive Directory is completely different framework.

July 10, 2013 at 9:24 pm
  • Errol
    Errol
    Super Guru 2,708 points

Thanks Richard! Take a liking to the new theme; guess I will have to wait for the stable version.

Kind Regards,
    Errol

July 11, 2013 at 4:04 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,812 points

Thanks for the overview Richard, hopefully will help clear up a few questions :)

July 11, 2013 at 5:15 am
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team