Child theme issue – Am I being a muppet?

• simon
    simon
    Newbie 52 points
    August 29, 2016 at 2:20 pm

I couldn’t fins anyone else with this issue so I assume I’m being really stupid, but here goes…

Decided to create a child theme before the site live.

Managed to get it installed and activated.

Everything seems fine apart from the fact that the colour scheme I selected in the main theme has not been copied. I simply want the change from default BLE to the RED.

Originally, I think, I simply clicked on a RED coloured disc. This option doesn’t seem to exist in the child theme.

So, simply, how to I get from default BLUE to the RED?

I’m expecting a really simple answer here 😉 which will also generate a slap on the wrist for me.

Thanks in advance.

Simon
    PS Oh It’s Shopper Theme by the way.

• simon
    simon
    Newbie 52 points
    August 29, 2016 at 6:33 pm

Very strange. Switch back to the main theme and I see the disc based colour selector. Switch back to child theme and it’s gone.

Looks like I’m not going with the child theme after all. Going to be a pain to change to V9.0 when it comes out, but probably stick with 8.9.4 in that case.

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    August 30, 2016 at 1:55 pm

Hello Simon,
    You cannot change a child theme default colors currently.You will need some css to change the colors of the sections you want

• simon
    simon
    Newbie 52 points
    August 30, 2016 at 2:56 pm

Really? (well I guess the answer to that is yes).

I thought that when a child theme was created it would inherit all of it’s settings from the parent theme. Kind of makes it impossible to to use child themes then – which I thought was the best way to operate – in order to not lose settings when updates are published.

Doesn’t this make it almost impossible to update the theme when you have made changes to functions.php or other core files?

Weird, I’m really surprised at this.

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    August 30, 2016 at 3:40 pm

When creating a child theme please select all options including ‘Include my custom styles (style.css)’ and ‘Include core framework theme styles (style.css)’ See attached image
    This will include parent theme colors in child theme

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
  • simon
    simon
    Newbie 52 points
    August 30, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Hi Josh,

Actually, I did include all of the files – after watching the video.

I’m sure in the video the colour scheme was preserved, although some of the menu items/ widgets could be lost? (mine actually weren’t lost).

Very odd. Any ideas what the css would be to just use the standard “RED” variant of the shopper theme?

Simon

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    August 30, 2016 at 5:47 pm

Select the Red color option in the parent theme before creating the child theme.This way the css for the color you have selected (red) will be copied to child theme

• simon
    simon
    Newbie 52 points
    August 30, 2016 at 6:30 pm

Hi Josh,

Yeah – I had the site (colours etc) exactly right before I made the child theme. The colours reverted back to the standard “BLUE” when I activated the child theme.

Must be something odd going on.

Might be best if I just stick to the parent theme – although, of course, that means I can never update the theme.

Simon

• Dave Harris
    Dave Harris
    Super Guru 1,383 points
    August 30, 2016 at 10:38 pm

Your not alone simon.

I did a child theme for someone and I cannot update without losing a load of style.

But always use a child theme but more importantly, always do full backups that you can quickly revert to when updating if things go belly up.

David
    DediClub

• simon
    simon
    Newbie 52 points
    August 31, 2016 at 7:54 am

Hi David,

Yep I regularly back up the whole thing so that I can revert. My host also provide an auto back-up which allows me to revert to a specific date from the last 6 months.

All good, but it still means I won’t be ever updating to the new releases of the theme – which is both a pity and also means I end up with redundant code on the medium term.

Is this a standard WP thing or is it theme specific? I’ve never really bothered with child themes as I don’t tend to use themes that I will ever update – once they are running, but it does some a bit odd.

Simon

• Dave Harris
    Dave Harris
    Super Guru 1,383 points
    August 31, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Marks themes never have a security issue, only update if one occurs, other than that they usually fix a few bugs or add a new feature. If all is working fine then I suggest just get on with your project.

If you really need to upgrade and it messes with the childtheme then a little work will be needed to set things right I guess. Not a huge hassle but a pain I agree.

This reply was awarded the best answer by the topic poster.
  • simon
    simon
    Newbie 52 points
    August 31, 2016 at 7:39 pm

I love the themes, so absolutely no worries on that front.

IN the past I’ve just started from scratch when a big new update comes out – seems a bit easier than trying to upgrade and then make the changes again.

Regards.

Simon

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes