Category drop down issue

WordPress Business Themes Forums Version 7 Themes ClassifiedsTheme Category drop down issue

Discontinued - The forum content is out of date. For theme support please use our support desk here.

Category drop down issue

July 2, 2013
 Carlos

• Carlos
    Newbie 12 points

Hi

On my case I will have 2 main categories: buy and sell

On each one I will have 30 or 40 categories.

On the submitnew deal page you can imagine it can be overwhelming to choose one category from one dropdown menu that displays about 80 or more categories….

I need a strategy for divide that two systems (buy and sell) with the usage of memberships or other theme options or I will have to modify the dropdown menu to display only the top 2 main categories (buy and sell) and then after selectiong one present another dropdown with the child categories.

Is there any strategy with memberships, packages or other theme option that allows me to accomplish this?

chhers

July 2, 2013 at 3:45 pm

• Carlos
    Newbie 12 points

No one can help me? Damn…. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

I’ve already purchased 3 themes from here and all of them have this problem. I can’t believe that Premiumpress themes reached the level they reached and this is still a problem…

Most of the times we need to create dozens of categories on our themes, and the current layout of the dropdown box on submit page containing the categories is not the best… far from it… I wonder how many people had this exact problem, and still we have no solution for it…

July 3, 2013 at 12:27 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

Hi Carlos

I think its alittle unclear about your structure, you want two types of users? (Buyers and sellers)

And there will be different cats for each? Only sellers will be adding products/items so i dont understand what benefit that would bring?

July 3, 2013 at 12:37 am

• Carlos
    Newbie 12 points

I need users to lists items they are looking for.

So the best solution for me would prompt the user on submit page if the list they are creating is for sell or buy (have a dropdown with sell and buy category options only)

After user selects one of these 2 categories another dropdown box will appear with all the child categories belonging to the category chosen.

Was it clear now? Maybe I can’t fully express with my poor English… :roll:

July 3, 2013 at 12:55 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

couldnt you have 1 set of categories and just a tick box (buy or sell) ?

seems odd your filling your site with so many categories.

July 3, 2013 at 1:10 am

• Carlos
    Newbie 12 points

Hum…. That sounds a good idea…

And how would I separate them on menus?

Have a look at my homepage at http://inovve.net/expoff/

As you can see on left sidebar I have to separate them and show the number of listing on each category…

• This reply was modified 6 years, 1 month ago by  Carlos.
    July 3, 2013 at 1:15 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

buy adding it as a custom field it will make them searchable which is also better.

i would modify and add the (buy or sell) tag to your _item.php file so the user can see whilst searching which one its for.

July 3, 2013 at 1:32 am

• Carlos
    Newbie 12 points

Hum… The only problem I can see with that solution is how will I keep my left menus… How will I retrieve the number of posts that belong to one category and are for selling vs for buying? Can you help with that one? ๐Ÿ˜› If you do my problem is fixed! ๐Ÿ˜‰

July 3, 2013 at 1:37 am

• Carlos
    Newbie 12 points

Mark?

July 3, 2013 at 3:45 pm

• Carlos
    Newbie 12 points

Mark can you help with this one?

cheers

July 4, 2013 at 6:08 pm
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team