Trevor

Bit of advice please.

I am starting on a new project. It's an educational/online school site that will have 2 membership types, teachers and students that will cover many different methods of delivering content, from online videos, live chats and downloadable content, private forums and groups etc for each 'teacher' This type of site is kind of a first for me as I generally do online stores that generally do not have paid memberships and are usually selling products that fit a particular theme so it is generally easy to pick the appropriate theme to use in most cases, and just every day regular non-commerce sites. I have the VIP package and was wondering what people think would be the best PremiumPress template/theme to use for such a site as a base to build from considering the wide variety of purchasable content that will be available. Any suggestions for plugins that may assist in making such a site would also be greatly appreciated along with recommendations of video/cloud hosting services that would be worth checking out for this kind of thing as the site content will exceed my own hosting capabilities. For the social and profile side of things I'm thinking of going with buddypress. Site will be something like a cross between sites like UDEMY and Hay House with a heavy social media style interaction between teachers and students. Really appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Much thanks in advance.

Created: March 15, 2016 at 3:30 am
  • In: General Discussion
  • Started by: TrevorTrevor
  • 2 members left 4 comments
  • Last reply from: TrevorTrevor

• Josh
    March 15, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Hello Trevor,
    If planning on selling digital products you can use the Downloads theme >>

• Trevor
    Trevor
    March 18, 2016 at 3:30 am

Thanks for the reply Josh, that was my initial choice also. I was just concerned if I would be able to paywall content like streaming video with that one.

• Josh
    March 18, 2016 at 3:07 pm

Hello Trevor,
    You can prevent users from accessing listings according to membership can also restrict access to listing content by using the [MEMBERSHIP][/MEMBERSHIP] shortcode

• Trevor
    Trevor
    March 28, 2016 at 3:34 am

Thanks again Josh, I am aware of the membership code and that it can restrict who has access to what but do appreciate you mentioning it.

What I am trying to work out is for example the download theme, people can only view what they have purchased, as it will be associated with their particular account and they can download it,like PDF’s. This means there would be no requirement for membership blocks as the memberships are to establish what a users role is, only teachers can upload content and make listings for it. Students can purchase and then view the content.

Due to videos generally taking up a great deal of space the plan is to find a video cloud hosting service and upload class videos to it and have them embeded into the site, and it is then making it so a person can view the video online after they purchase it. If for example I added the ‘student’ or ‘teacher’ code, any student or teacher can view it. And I need to ensure only those who have paid can as Students are a free account, and teachers are a paid membership to give them the ability to sell their classes as each ‘teacher’ will be their own seller. If that makes any sense.

I suppose I will need to, for now, make the videos a downloadable file, with maybe just a linked preview on it’s store page until I can work out how I am going to pull this off.

If anyone can link me to some detailed up to date tutorials/manuals on how memberships work and what I need to do to set them up the way I need them to I’d be extremely happy, I never seem to have much luck in finding the manuals I need or that cover the things I am needing to learn.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)