Are these plugins secure?

• Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points
    August 17, 2015 at 8:03 pm

I know a number of you use Richard Bonk’s plugins. I’m wondering if it’s still safe to use the plugins he has on his site since they haven’t been updated for a long time. (I see that he hasn’t been doing too well.)
    This is the second time in a month that my site has been hacked, despite using a firewall and other security measures, and I’m wondering if these plugins have anything to do with it. Are there updates somewhere like Github?

• Mark
    Mark
    Titan 733 points
    August 17, 2015 at 8:32 pm

@Delali, as far as I know, Richard Bonk is providing updates to his plugins (At least the contact form plugin that I bought from his site had an update just couple of weeks ago). If you are in any doubt, just contact Richard Bonk via his website. Also, to make sure that you are running the latest version, download your plugins from your account area directly (as I had few plugins that did not mention update and when I downloaded it from my account area, it was like few versions behind).

Also, if the plugin is designed correctly and no changes are required in order to work with the latest version of WordPress then there is no need to release update.

I think that the main reason why he would update any of his plugin would be to make it compatible with latest version of the PremiumPress themes rather than WordPress (as the themes are changing so much that even my own customisations need to be adapted with every new theme update).

What sort of security plugin do you use? I use WordFence and since I started using it, I did not have issues.

• Clive
    Clive
    Super Guru 1,818 points
    August 17, 2015 at 10:23 pm

Delali, the most common cause of all WordPress site vulnerabilities lies with how the site creator/developer has set up their own site & WordPress settings.

e.g. are you 100% certain you have eliminated the possibility of SQL injection attacks? Are you using an Admin username of “admin”? (in which case change it immediately!) Do you IP & cookie block “brute force” password attacks after a couple of attempts?

It isn’t sufficient just to blindly install a plugin like Wordfence without really understanding exactly what every setting does.

Regarding Richard Bonk, if someone has sufficient skills to write custom code/plugins, they are usually competent enough to build in reasonable safeguards.

• Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points
    August 18, 2015 at 11:48 am

@Mark @ Clive Thanks for your responses 🙂

I downloaded fresh installs of Richard’s plugins just in case I missed an update.

I was using iThemes when my site got hacked the first time, but that was likely due to out of date themes and plugins I’d forgotten in my old websites. I got rid of those fast and had two security companies clean up my server.

Right now I’m using the Sucuri plugin and I also use Sucuri’s paid service. They cleaned up my site, so I’m sure they got rid of any possible SQL injections. I have never used “admin” and I have a lot of blocks in place through Sucuri.

I would love to use Wordfence since you can compare changed files. But I’ve changed some settings in Sucuri that might interfere with Wordfence. I might give it a try or try iThemes again.

It took so many sleepless nights to get my site up. It’s sad that there are people out there looking to take it down just because they can.

• Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points
    August 18, 2015 at 1:39 pm

@Mark, I have Wordfence running on my site now, and no problems yet. Thanks for the heads up!

• Mike
    Mike
    Titan 776 points
    December 28, 2015 at 1:32 pm

@Delali

I use a plugin called WP SpamShield which is also worth a try.

I found Wordfence had several high load issues and did not necessarily cut down spam.

• HECTOR ELIUD
    Newbie 7 points
    April 8, 2016 at 2:14 am

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at webmaster@miventalibre.com to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

• HECTOR ELIUD
    Newbie 7 points
    April 8, 2016 at 2:18 am

this error me when uploading heavy frame images to finish the hard ad 5 minutes trying to load and I make the mistake.
    as you can autobloquear the announcement if the images are too heavy and not block the website.

• HECTOR ELIUD
    Newbie 7 points
    April 8, 2016 at 2:18 am

single block

• HECTOR ELIUD
    Newbie 7 points
    April 8, 2016 at 2:21 am

who could check my website to ensure its proper functioning. If I have to pay for the service and how this service cost me?

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    April 8, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Hello Hector,
    Best option is to contact your host.

• HECTOR ELIUD
    Newbie 7 points
    April 9, 2016 at 9:00 pm

talk to them and they said that was the subject of classified, as I can to place only up to 10 mb if not stop the upload photos. this is a competition problem that has not classified in its website.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

• HECTOR ELIUD
    Newbie 7 points
    April 9, 2016 at 9:03 pm

recommend that company to solve this problem, because I can not start the WebSite, please I need to star the website.and so I can not

• Josh
    Super Guru 13,875 points
    April 12, 2016 at 2:26 pm

Hello Hector,
    I suggest you upgrade to a better host.You can also do it manually if the host cannot do this for you.There are several ways to do this manually.Have a look at this >>https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/increase-memory-limit/
    You can also use a plugin

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes