Ask the community

This is a community support forum where you can ask
questions and interact with other PremiumPress Customers.

A No-Coding Customizable Search Box Alternative

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    May 26, 2019 at 7:24 am

Hello All,

I’m finishing up on a widget that has settings to make it easier to style and re/design an Advanced Search Box without needing to be a coder, digging through code or even manual changes to files (like the current search box does).

However, before releasing it I would love to see if there are a handful of people that wouldn’t mind to test it out and offer feedback to help make it more user friendly and have features that theme owners would actually use.

There are other options I’ve been debating on adding, like blog categories, taxonomies, custom fields, tags or other possible options. I’ve actually completed some of them, but removed them until they’re finished and needed.

The coding for some of those field settings is done (usable in the widget), however I haven’t gotten to analyzing or coding the actual querying process for them.

If you’ve found yourself struggling with trying to make “relatively simple” changes to the current search box then this may be an ideal win for you.

Changing the form title, labels and colors are some of the options available. The main features that I believe most would be interested in is the ability to select only the input fields you want displayed, the order of the fields as well as the ability to specifically select categories to display in the dropdown field.

Note: A couple things to know…

1. The search form currently only offers the four (4) main search fields: Keyword, Zip Code, Location and Category.
    2. Providing there is enough response for the need I’ll be happy to add other fields (not currently included) that are more specific for other themes (like price range, gender, radius… etc).
    3. The Directory theme is the main theme that’s been tested with, but for the most part it should work on other themes with the current basic input fields.
    4. There currently is no documentation available, but should be easy enough to find what you need.

@Mitchell – I think this is something you’ll be interested in.

For <u>anyone interested</u> please send me an email at customphix [@] gmail.com with your request.

Note: As soon as I can I’ll be posting some images and/or short video clips of the settings and how quick and easy it is to duplicate the built-in search box (but with great options).

Feel free to add suggestions, comments or feature requests.

Please note that I <u>am not</u> associated with PremiumPress other than a theme owner.

• Joanna
    Joanna
    Newbie 30 points
    May 26, 2019 at 2:53 pm

sending you an email.

• Mitchell
    Senior Member 136 points
    May 26, 2019 at 7:08 pm

@James You are correct I would love to test this email is being sent!

• Vivian
    Vivian
    Senior Member 174 points
    May 26, 2019 at 9:25 pm

I too would be happy to test sending email now

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    May 26, 2019 at 11:20 pm

Hi All,
    Thanks guys and gals! Your honest input will greatly be appreciated.

I’ve briefly responded to everyone so far. Please let me know if you didn’t receive the acknowledgement.

Good, or bad, I’ll be looking forward to what you all have to say. Stay tuned.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    May 28, 2019 at 3:38 am

Hey All,
    I’ve just sent the email with the plugin file and a link to a video to help you get started.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    May 30, 2019 at 7:55 am
  • JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    May 31, 2019 at 1:39 am

Here are screenshots of the settings panel:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/XdnQfPkqVojT6g4SA

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    June 3, 2019 at 1:33 am

Here’s an updated example of changing from search box to search bar with additional settings:

• Pierre-Gilles
    Pierre-Gilles
    Newbie 8 points
    June 9, 2019 at 11:19 am

Nice job, JameD.

• Damien
    Damien
    Newbie 9 points
    June 9, 2019 at 2:21 pm

Good work James. I’m also interested in this plugin for my real estate and directory website.

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    June 10, 2019 at 2:19 am

@Pierre-Gilles & Damien
    Thank you guys.

• Mitchell
    Senior Member 136 points
    June 10, 2019 at 6:37 pm

Sorry, James, I have not been around. My web hosting server crashed with a hard drive failure, fortunately, The server is backed up every night and was busy restoring the server and client accounts and then for many days watching and tweaking the server.
    I’m now looking over and installing the search widget.
    thank you for all the help you provide us

Mitch

• Mitchell
    Senior Member 136 points
    June 10, 2019 at 6:59 pm

@JamesD
    Could you forward me the form and login info again to my email want to get the latest version
    lost the email
    thanks
    Mitch
    n2rga (at) Yahoo

• JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 1,345 points
    June 10, 2019 at 11:39 pm

@Damien
    If your’d like to participate in the testing then just shoot me and email at customphix [at] gmail.com and I’ll send you details. (I won’t be adding the file here)

@Mitchell
    Thanks, I’ve sent you an email.

For anyone else interested, there’s still a little time left to let me know if you’re interested… send an email with your request ( customphix [at] gmail.com )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)