A few things I need help with

• John
    John
    Newbie 8 points
    August 6, 2013 at 4:56 pm

Hi all, I’m posting on behalf of a client who is building his own site, but requires some help with a few things he wants to implement/change. I’m not a web developer just his computer technician, I am helping him where I can.

1) He has asked if it is possible to add in a category that shows all new listings rather than relying on the “recent posting/lisiting” widget(s). He prefers to just have a category on the nav menu on the left that once clicked it just brings up all the new postings.

2) The preview image on the listings page, when I say listings page I mean where you see all the ads once you click on a category. Currently he is not happy with the 150×150 pixel preview image, it is too small for what he wants. He does not wish his clients or viewers to have to squint or click into a posting right away, but rather they be able to get a decent look at the product so the viewer/buyer can then decide if it is worth their time to click into the advertisment posting. With this I suggested perhaps a mouseover command that can bring up a bigger version of the preview image, no zooming, just a bigger full image. Is this possible with the theme (any hidden code?) or is there some code we can put in to achieve what he wants?

3) Related to question 2, would also like to implement the mouseover command onto the featured ads that are shown in the featured ads widget if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

• CTK
    CTK
    Newbie 26 points
    August 6, 2013 at 5:13 pm

1. Yes – kind of (it’s not a nice solution). Create a new category called ‘new’. When a new listing is added, he simply adds it to the ‘new’ category. He’ll be able to create a menu button to this page. This will require him to keep track of the page, so that he can take off listings that he no longer deems ‘new’. We used this to display a page of featured listings.

2. Yes – but it would require a pop-up or lightbox plugin, and you would have to hardcode in whatever php code the plugin required. Another option would be to play with the CSS to just make the image larger.

• John
    John
    Newbie 8 points
    August 7, 2013 at 9:18 am

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions CTK.

1) Unfortunately doing it the way you have described will not suffice for him. He does not want to have to micro manage the page/category like that, he’s seen other sites that have what he wants and would like to emulate that besides using the widget which does not get the look he’s after.

2) Is there any built in code that is hidden that we can somehow activate, Mark could you confirm please?
    If not is there a plugin or code that is recommended that can be easily added to the theme to get the desired results, any instructions would be greatly appreciated also.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

New Business Themes for WordPress 2020

Start your new website today!

View Business Themes