Creating pages that only display posts of specific categries

WordPress Business Themes Forums Responsive Themes Directory Theme Creating pages that only display posts of specific categries Reply To: Creating pages that only display posts of specific categries

WordPress Business Themes Forums Responsive Themes Directory Theme Creating pages that only display posts of specific categries Reply To: Creating pages that only display posts of specific categries

• Jennifer
    Jennifer
    Senior Member 119 points

No, it’s not what we are talking about (but thanks!). We don’t need a list of categories- we need a page that displays all the archive excerpts from Blog Cat A, and another page that displays archive excerpts from Blog Category B, etc.

I have come up with a slightly complex workaround, and it’s imperfect, but better than nothing.

If you create multiple categories in your Posts section, then scroll over them to see the link, you’ll see tag_id= the number after that is your category ID.

Then, you need to copy the index.php file inside your theme, and rename it category-XX.php (with XX being the tag ID. Put it in the same folder with index.php (maybe it can go in your child theme so it won’t get overwritten by theme updates- I’m not quite sure how to do that, but it would be ideal)

Then, you can go into that new file and add css classes to certain div tags that will allow you to style that page in its own way. By default, it looks like a search results page, which isn’t ideal. It should look like a blog archive page. That’s why it’s imperfect. My php isn’t good enough to really make it look great, but at least I can make it acceptable. If I could add the blog author and date of publication in there, then I’d really be happy.

Mark, you asked for my blog link in another thread on this topic a few days ago. I’m working on a bigger glitch right now, but I’ll send it soon and reference that other thread (which says, as of now, there’s no way to accomplish this goal).

August 4, 2014 at 6:39 pm
  • Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team