Where do I edit my child theme styles?

• Safari
    Safari

67 points

Hello. Am using Software Download theme. I was naughty (well lazy really) and didn’t create child theme. I added lots of css to my parent theme Dashboard > Theme Options > Design Setup til it looks rather full.

decided I really should use a child theme so just created it now. (style.css with all my Design Setup css from parent theme code and functions.php to wp_enqueue_scripts the import of the parent stylesheet… blah blah)

Where do I add my styles in my child theme so they take effect?

I see the parent style.css has the following:

[code title=””]
    /*
    NOTE THIS FILE IS NOT USED WITHIN THE THEME
    THEREFORE ADDING CONTENT TO IT WILL NOT WORK
    */
    [/code]

Does this mean my style.css in my child theme will not work?

Stephen
    Stephen

111 points

Hi Safari..

Assuming your theme is similar to the responsive Real Estate theme.. the only one I have experience of.. you need to first create your own child theme.. from your Theme options.. if you have already added all your css styling into the custom meta data section then just create the theme.. but then you need to download it again to Appearance themes and then activate it..

So when you look in Appearance themes that Child theme is showing as the active one..

And I think each time you make any changes the CSS you should probably repeat the process.. so you are always using your current theme..

I also make it a habit to save all my CSS and all my Content pages settings for each of the page layouts..

Hope that helps.. I think it is all correct.. unless maybe I am doing it all wrong.. I will be watching your post to see what others have to say about this..

Hemanta Chakladar
    Hemanta Chakladar
    Super Guru

1,695 points

You just install the newly created child theme, all the style will be there.

Stephen
    Stephen

111 points

Hi Safari.. sorry I did not read your post properly and missed this line.. “so just created it now.”

In that case I think you still do need to download it. and/or make it your active child theme.. in your Appearance>> Themes.. should be the top one..

cat
    cat

150 points

Creating a child theme
    Go to your edittor, make all your design changes, for colours and etc.
    When youre happy with everything, then SAVE.
    Now click CHILD THEMES create new.
    Name it, and the css you just finished in your design edittor is loaded into it.
    DOWNLOAD the zip file to your home computer.
    UPLOAD the zip to your admin area by
    APPEARANCES>THEMES
    UPLOAD NEW
    once its uploaded click activate.

Your child theme contains your style.css and this is the file you need to edit.
    You cannot edit your child theme css IN the design edittor
    so
    go back to APPEARANCES>EDITTOR
    select style.css
    and EDIT CAREFULLY!

ALWAYS Make a backup copy of your style.css codes (whole page!) BEFORE you edit anything.
    Wordpress does NOT have an undo button

TO SAVE YOURSELF NIGHTMARES
    cut and paste your css to a text edittor on your home computer
    -make your changes on that
    -copy and paste into wp admin edittor

Things are easier to find on an edittor (NEVER use the wp edittor!!!)

at least then if you stuff it better than a thanksgiving turkey you have UNLIMITED undos you can backtrack with
    c++ edittor is a free download HERE
    http://filehippo.com/download_notepad

Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru

12,208 points

thanks for sharing

there are video tutorials here also;

http://www.premiumpress.com/childthemes/

Safari
    Safari

67 points

OMG! How did I never see this thing auto-child theme-creator-thingo existed!! Thanks for all your help! I’ve always just created my child theme manually. This is awesome.

The video http://www.premiumpress.com/childthemes/ helped 100%.

I have a fair bit of experience with geekery (not necessarily wordpress, though) but ever since having gladular fever a year ago my brain is not too sharp. Thanks all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.