Selecting Category for New Listing

WordPress Business Themes Forums Responsive Themes Directory Theme Selecting Category for New Listing

Discontinued - The forum content is out of date. For theme support please use our support desk here.

Selecting Category for New Listing

August 3, 2014
David David
  • David
    David
    Newbie 21 points

Hello Everyone,

My directory site is pretty much up and running. But here is an issue I am having.

When a user goes to add a new listing, everything works except when they go to select which category it is in. A drop down list appears, and is populated, but none of the categories can be clicked on or selected. If you want to see what I mean, the website is http://www.stink.club and the “New toilet location” link is in the main menu.

Any insights/solutions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Smiley.

August 3, 2014 at 6:06 pm
  • David
    David
    Newbie 21 points

To clarify, this is with the Responsive Directory Theme

August 3, 2014 at 6:18 pm
  • zarko
    zarko
    Senior Member 360 points

hi David,

If you just need single category selection on submission form, set Multiple Categories to OFF in Listing Setup > Packages ( when you click to edit listing package ) and it should work fine

August 3, 2014 at 8:33 pm
  • David
    David
    Newbie 21 points

Thanks Mark, but I do want the user to have the option to select from a populated list of categories, so this is working fine … it is that the program is not acknowledging a category being clicked. If you went into the website, maybe what I am trying to say would be clearer?

Thanks again in trying to help me.

David.

August 3, 2014 at 8:47 pm
  • Sandra
    Sandra
    Senior Member 265 points

Check the following:

Theme options / general settings / submission settings / disable parent category. If it’s on and you have the categories under a parent category non can be selected.

Theme Options / listing setup / listing packages / package setup. Make sure you have a number populated in multiple categories even if it’s only 1 and multiple categories is set to off. Still need 1.

August 3, 2014 at 8:56 pm
  • David
    David
    Newbie 21 points

Sorry …. Zarko

Okay, I see what you are saying now. I will play around a bit and see if that helps.

August 3, 2014 at 9:47 pm
  • David
    David
    Newbie 21 points

Thanks Sandra and Zarko,

I played around with your suggestions.

Oddly, what solved the problem in the end … and I admit I don’t fully understand … is that under General Setting – Submission Settings turning Disable Parent Category to OFF actually worked (I thought it would be the other way around, as I don’t have parent categories).

Anyways – all is well that ends well. Thanks again for your assistance.

August 3, 2014 at 11:28 pm
  • John
    John
    Newbie 19 points

Hi i have the same problem, I tried what you suggested and their was no change, people cannot choose the categories they want.

August 4, 2014 at 1:15 pm
  • Sandra
    Sandra
    Senior Member 265 points

I think the way that is working then David is each category is it’s own parent category, so when you have it to on for diable them, they will all become disabled.

John, Have you tried all suggestions above? Are your categories definetly created under listing manager and not under posts?

August 5, 2014 at 9:23 pm
  • Malgorzata
    Malgorzata
    Super Guru 1,606 points

As Sandra said – you need at least one category. You choose how many categories in listing packages are assign to a package. If you have one package, you still need to decide how many categories that person can choose.

August 5, 2014 at 10:04 pm
  • John
    John
    Newbie 19 points

Hi Sandra

I have tried all suggestions, I have turned parent category on and off and there is no change. categories are definitely created under listing manager and not under posts.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    August 5, 2014 at 10:10 pm
  • John
    John
    Newbie 19 points

Hi Malgorzata

I have the packages set up correctly the problem only started after I updated to version 6.1.1

I work perfectly on mobile devices.

August 5, 2014 at 10:24 pm
  • Malgorzata
    Malgorzata
    Super Guru 1,606 points

I did not update yet to 6.1.1

August 6, 2014 at 12:39 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

ill check on this, could be a bug.

August 9, 2014 at 5:29 am
  • Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru 12,814 points

the first posters issue is not a bug, its their seutp. They have disabled parent category inclusion but only setup parent categories therefore the user has nothing to select.

August 9, 2014 at 6:35 am
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team