Recurring Payments – How does it work?

• Brandon
    Brandon

6 points

Hi,

I’ve searched through the forums and from what I can find, it is possible to have recurring payments via the Paypal payment gateway, as show in this image:

http://www.premiumpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/recurring.png

However, there is not much more information beyond that. I have a few questions I’d appreciate any answers on:

1) How do recurring payments work in terms of setting them up? Do I just choose yes on the payment gateway page? Do I need to set anything up on the Paypal side of things? What does it mean “yes, where possible”?

2) Are the recurring payments linked to memberships or listing packages? In other words, if I’m selling yearly memberships, will they auto renew, and then therefore also renew any associated listing package?

Thank you

Josh
    Josh
    Super Guru

13,770 points

Hello Brandon,
    Q1.You only need to enable recurring payment in the Paypal Payment Gateway and that’s all.Paypal will automatically deduct the amount from the users account
    Q2.Recurring Payment works for Membership Packages

Brandon
    Brandon

6 points

Hi Josh,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a site that sells a yearly membership that allows 1 public listing.

So my question is, if I enable recurring payment for the membership, how will that affect the listing. The public listing should only be visible if the membership is active. Currently I have set the listings to last 1 year which means that the user would have to re-enable it?

Is it possible to link the visibility/publish status of the public listing to the membership status? So if the membership expires/is cancelled then the listing is automatically unpublished?

Thanks in advance.

Josh
    Josh
    Super Guru

13,770 points

Hello Brandon,
    There is an option to select what happens to a listing when a Listing Package expires (What happens when it expires?) If you have set your listing package to 100 days then when it expires the action you have selected at ‘What happens when it expires?’ will take effect.(Since you have set both Listing and Membership Package to 100 days so listing expiry action will happen same day Membership Package expires) Hope its clear

Brandon
    Brandon

6 points

Hi Josh,

So as I understand it, there are no built in options that tie the expiry directly to the membership expiry? Is that correct?

I imagine there must be a way with hooks to set a listing to be expired if the membership has expired?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.