Question on Thumbnail Plugin

• Mitchell

61 points

If the Listing has a featured image for the screenshot will the thumnail plugin get an image and use it anyway?

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

427 points

Hello Mitchell,
    “If the Listing has a featured image for the screenshot will the thumnail plugin get an image and use it anyway?”

If I’m understanding you correctly, no.

Notes:
    The plugin will generate thumbnails for a listing if a featured image doesn’t already exist. It doesn’t add the screenshot as the featured image though.

Manually setting a featured image will cause the listing to use that image as the thumbnail.

Removing the featured image cause the plugin to re-create a thumbnail.

Differences?
    Featured image allows you to manually select an image – Used as featured image and thumbnail.

While the screenshot plugin will create an image based off of the plugin settings – Used as thumbnail.

Does this make sense?

Mitchell

61 points

Yes thank you for that answer.
    I did take the screenshots and imported as a featured image on a different thread I explained how I did it for everyone else. The question was for if I reactivate the screenshot plugin would all my work go to hell :>
    But I did decide not to use it since I will be manually approving all listings and making sure they have screenshots.
    again Thanks
    mitch

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

427 points

If you’re interested, and have a testing environment, then you can checkout a plugin with a slightly modified version of the screenshot plugin I’ve created.

Basically, it adds the custom key field (selected by in the Screenshot settings) to the Quick Edit screen along with a couple checkboxes to set as featured image or remove as featured.

You can kick it around and see if it does as you need/expect.
    I’ll add one more image in the next post…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

427 points

Let me know if you’re interested via customphix [at] gmail [dot] com and I’ll get it to you.

Attachments:

Mitchell

61 points

Will Do I don’t have a testing environment now . But if you need it tested I can set one up and test for you

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

427 points

At the moment I personally don’t have a use for it. But have seen various reasons for the need.

I have various test environments and have done minimal testing.

I put it together for you and/or anyone else that feel they could benefit from it and possibly relieve some headaches.

It’s up to you, either way it’s all good.

Just trying to help others when I can. :-)

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

427 points

Here’s a short screencast (no audio) of it:
    Unable to display content. Adobe Flash is required.
    https://www.screencast.com/t/Eu1H9549YyHv

Mitchell

61 points

Looks excellent wish I had it 4 days ago :>
    I will hold off for now but if I do another directory that need screenshot I will definitely look you up
    thank you so much
    Mitch

Kelly
    Kelly

19 points

JamesD – Would you be willing to share your ScreenCast plugin with me? I’ve got a site that I’d love to go live, however, the screenshots are not working for me.

Thanks for your consideration.

Kelly Ling

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

427 points

Hello Kelly,

Sure thing. Are you referring to the modified Website Thumbnails plugin or the plugin to add screenshot as featured image?

If it’s the screenshots you’re having problems with then the modified version of the “Website Thumbnails” plugin is all you need. It’s around 98% the same thing, just slightly modified to allow the v2.4 to work. I’ve attached this file.

If you do use this plugin then make sure you backup and remove the current ‘wlt_website_thumbnails’ plugin/folder from the plugins directory before uploading this one.

Attachments:

Kelly
    Kelly

19 points

Thank you for this modified version. I have a site that I’ve been trying to open so I can install this new.

:-)

Kelly

Kelly
    Kelly

19 points

JamesD – I just installed the plugin and I get the following error. Any ideas?

“Warning: Illegal string offset ‘error’ in /home/mysitename/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wlt_website_thumbnails/wlt_website_thumbnails.php on line 236”

Thanks!

Kelly Ling

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

427 points

Hello Kelly,

Which theme/child-theme and version are you using?

Kelly
    Kelly

19 points

Responsive Business Directory Theme
    Version 8.9.4

I see the latest is 8.9.6. Let me upgrade to that first and see if it works.

Kelly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.