Page Builder for V9

• Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru

12,399 points

Over the past few days I have been looking at options for improving the page builder and/or working with an existing solution provider to offer something new.

After purchasing 5 different solutions for testing purposes, the one I like the most is a plugin called. “elementor”

Elementor Page Builder

They offer a free version and a pro version, after testing for an hour or two the free version includes everything needed for most PremiumPress users.

The reason i like this one most is that its not a bloated plugin so it doesnt have a large footprint and also they have tools that allow us (PremiumPress) to develop components so that can extend the page builder with some PremiumPress theme related extras.

Anyways, i thought i would leave this up for discussion but I think unless a better solution to found i will push forward with this plugin.

Let me know what your think

Mark

Horacio
    Horacio

29 points

Sounds like a plan and If you have been able to extend the page builder and tested it that would be great. This is my opinion

Aaron
    Aaron
    Super Guru

912 points

Elementor isnt bad although I find King Komposer far superior in terms of bloat and included code.

It also doesn’t add the whole prefixed bootstrap 3 framework that Visual Composer and Elementor uses.

Using Bootstrap 4 and Elementors version of Bootstrap 3 doesn’t sit well with me for obvious reasons, Elementor 2 may be using version 4 but why do these builders have to prefix everything grrr.

Janak
    Super Guru

1,271 points

I haven’t has time to have a look at this plugin yet but can you tell me whether it does all the things we have in version 8. ie:

1. Can you display a section of listings on a page matching a certain criteria (meta query) as we could before?

2. List some categories.

3. Put an advanced search on the page.

Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru

12,399 points

Thanks, yes personally i’m not a big fan of page builders but I can understand that their useful for some users.

@Aaron, King Komposer also looks like a good plugin, ill check it out. Thanks.

Marco
    Marco

27 points

Hey Mark,

Have you tried the plugin from Divi? I think that is a great plugin although do not know if is is compatible with PremiumPress. Their support is also very good.

Marco

Aaron
    Aaron
    Super Guru

912 points

No probs Mark.

Not a fan of Divi here – would rather use Visual Composer.

The other alternative is to use the WordPress Gutenberg editor: https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ which will be in core. Not as full featured mind you.

Vivek

99 points

@Mark,

Using Elementor on other site not using PP and it works well. There front end builder is really nice.
    Have tried to use it on PP V8.9 but theme does not support full width layout of Elementor.
    Visual Composer/Divi is bloated plus content lock is an issue.
    Have not tried King Composer (but just a note, free version is back-end builder only) so no views.

Errol
    Errol
    Super Guru

2,707 points

I believe whatever tools many of us started out originally online and feel comfortable working with, we will have a tendency to stick with them even though many other enticing bright shiny object tools will appear.

For me over the years using Visual Composer was the page builder of choice working with the genesis framework to build regular websites and I have being waiting for quite a while now to test it on PP themes especially DT the directory theme of my choice for years. Even though many of try to influence me to give up on Mark on PP themes.

In the backend editor of VC – to start I just create the page title, add the page attributes, template and featured image if any and click save has draft or publish. I then click on the frontend editor and when the page open I click on “The Add new element” at the top left of the page and then take the design from there, so simple for me.

By the way, after creating a page you like you can also click on the template icon at the top of the page and save it as a template to use in other works if you so desire or create other templates and save them, even though I have not try it with PP at the moment. This is just my opinion from working with VC page builder!

Regards,

Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru

12,399 points

Thank you for your input guys, all very valid and useful.

Aaron
    Aaron
    Super Guru

912 points

Are you going to go with Elementor Mark?

Marcel

15 points

I didn’t see this topic before, but since I wrote a comment saying you should use third party plugins like Elementor I thought I should comment on this topic as well.

First I want to say I’m glad to see you’re taking the advice of your users seriously.

I did an extensive review on the Divi page builder a few months ago. I really like Divi (I use it as the default theme for my webdesign business), but they don’t have a free version so that’s not a valid alternative in this case.

For my review, I also researched a few other page builders, one of which is Elementor. In my opinion, that was the only alternative that was as user friendly and has as much features as Divi, even in the free version.

I also looked at Visual Composer (now called WP Bakery) but I wasn’t impressed with it. It does offer a reasonable amount of features, but it doesn’t offer real time front end editing. It does have a front end page builder, but you can’t see the effect of the changes you make in real time.

At last I looked at Beaver builder, but their free version is no competition for Elementor and the paid version is really expensive and doesn’t offer as much features.

So in my opinion, Elementor is a really great choice. Gutenberg is of course also a good alternative, especially for those who like to keep it simple, but since that’s going to be the default page builder for WordPress I’m assuming you’ll support that as well.

Trina B
    Trina B

53 points

@Vivek, @Mark,

Hello I’m using the Elementor editor on PP DT 8.9.7 and I want to know if there is a way to use the full width of the template without the borders, like the PremiumPress Page Builder editor 2.2.

Page Width: Full page doesn’t work.

Or if you can recommend another editor like Elementor that allows me to use the full width of the template.

Regards.

Mark Fail
    Mark Fail
    Super Guru

12,399 points

@Aaron, yes im working on a collection of add-ons for this page builder.

@Marcel, thank you for your comments.

Jeffrey

4 points

Mark,

I have been using Elementor Pro and highly recommend it. The user interface is quite intuitive and you can essentially see real-time changes to the content.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.