Migrating from an older version to the most recent directory version

• Richard

5 points

I’ve updated an existing link site with the most current directory theme. In the old version, links and categories were listed as “posts”. After I updated the site to the newest version, the links are now in the “blog manager” section. The links need to be in the “listing manager” section. How can I get the existing links and categories from the blog section to the listing area? What’s the best way to complete this change?

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

582 points

Hello Richard,

There’s a transfer plugin If you’ve upgraded from v7:

PremiumPress Transfer Tool

Unfortunately, I have no experience with using it.

This reply was awarded the best answer by the topic poster.

Richard

5 points

JamesD; thank you so much for the response and the solution! It worked perfectly!
    Regards, Rich

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

582 points

Glad it helped, thanks for updating!
    Have a pleasant day.

Richard

5 points

Another quick question for you please – I’m trying to update another directory site with the directory theme and the “upload theme” button is not working. Any suggestions how I can fix this?
    Thanks, Rich

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

582 points

There could be a number of things, it’s always good to provide as much info on an issue when possible..

Could you provide more specifics like on what you were doing that led up to clicking the button and what you seen/didn’t see (or any error messages) that gave you the conclusion it doesn’t work… etc?

Richard

5 points

Thanks for the message. My directory site currently has DirectoryPress version 3.79 installed. I’m attempting to install the newest version of the theme. I went through the tutorial video to follow the steps I’ve done on another directory site (successful install). Following the steps – went to the appearance tab and then to themes tab where I can see the themes I currently have installed. I then click on the “add new” button where it goes to the “add themes” screen. Normally, you would see other themes available for download (categorized by featured, popular, etc.). The screen is blank except for the category tabs. I then click on the “upload theme” button and nothing is happening. That’s it, it stops there. Here are the plug-ins currently active on the site – akismet, antivirus, broken link checker, db cache reloaded fix, hyper cache extender, ithemes security, really simple ssl and si captcha anti spam. Thanks, Rich

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

582 points

Hello Richard,

I believe the plugin is only for upgrading from version 7.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe there’s an easy way to update from a v3 theme, a lot has changed between that version and v7 as well as the differences between v7 and v8.6+.

You can try to open a support ticket to see if they can help, I’m not exactly sure if/what they’ll do since it’s a pretty old version..

Note: One thing to add is don’t forget the next version (v9) that’s expected to be released next february.

Richard

5 points

Thanks for the feedback. I had another site with the same older version and the migration worked. Might be something else going on. I’ll check online support. Thanks.

Richard

5 points

Is there another way to upload and install the theme without going through the admin page?

JamesD
    JamesD
    Elite Member

582 points

With enough tech experience you probably could if you really wanted to… and if you felt it would be worth the time to try this manually and using command line..

For non-tech, nothing available that I’m aware of. You can use FTP to upload the theme (non-admin), but having the theme installed needs to go through it’s process to prepare the DB for the theme and it’s features.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.