just a general question to theme

WordPress Business Themes Forums Responsive Themes Dating Theme just a general question to theme

just a general question to theme

November 23, 2017
 Julian

• Julian
    Newbie 90 points

cheers..I was wondering if anybody would know why my site is getting lots of fake registrations…they cant go anywhere unless they fill out all profile data…so right now its like 20 fake registrations but they didnt fill out profiles..so in essence nothing shows on site until they do this…why would people do this..as there is no advantage..ex. putting some link in.. to get people ti click..etc…Im just curious if anyone knows why ..its useless on my site unless you fill out entire account profile…Thanks for any info..

November 23, 2017 at 5:50 pm
  • JamesD
    JamesD
    Super Guru 913 points

Hello Julian,

Those are usually created from automated crawlers (i.e. scripted “robots”) attempting to create SPAM comments and/or malicious types of posts. (think of email type SPAM, but for blogs).

Behavior like this is basically is the reason why captcha/recaptcha type software was created.

Unfortunately, there isn’t anything I can recommend as far as plugins, but I am aware of at least one theme setting you can ensure it turned on at “Theme Setup >> User Setup”, under the “Registration Fields” Tab. Look for “Security Code” and make sure it’s turned “ON”. Note: I have no clue how well it works and/or how useful this setting is.

I’m guessing there are quite a few other members here that could recommend something if needed.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    November 24, 2017 at 2:20 am
    This reply was awarded the best answer by the topic poster.

• Julian
    Newbie 90 points

cheers thanks for the response..I do have all settings in place they cant do anything on site unless all fields are filled ut with a pic..I tested it works…so thats why I am wondering why spam…all they can do is enter a username and email..they have to go get password from registered email then fill all info out before the site recognizes account ..thats why I cant understand why they do this there is no advantage..and I do have the question thing its always a math one..can we change this?..cuz maybe the “robots” get by the math ones..thanks for info

November 24, 2017 at 4:09 am
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team