Godaddy Managed WordPress Hosting – Caching Plugin causing PP to not work; HELP

WordPress Business Themes Forums General Discussion Godaddy Managed WordPress Hosting – Caching Plugin causing PP to not work; HELP

Godaddy Managed WordPress Hosting – Caching Plugin causing PP to not work; HELP

March 25, 2015
Mark Mark
  • Mark
    Mark
    Senior Member 150 points

Hi guys,

I need some help on this one. I have been building a site on godaddy shared hosting. I noticed it was slow and unresponsive so i called and complained and they suggested moving across to a managed WordPress hosting account. More resources at my disposal and more RAM, better processors etc.

Moved everything over and presto. The site seemed a bit quicker so i got on developing. Marks update to 8.1 came along and I updated the theme. I played around with it looking for whats new on my classifieds theme and when I go to ‘add listing’ nothing happened. The home page merely refreshed. I checked my permalinks (as they get changed with updates sometimes) but all seemed fine.

I notified mark fail and he has looked into the issue for me. He told me that godaddy have put a chaching plugin in my wp-content folder and it needs to be removed. I called godaddy and asked them to remove it and they did. However it appears there is a caching plugin on their back end that they cannot remove.

Upon telling Mark this he advised me “they cater more for static content websites and thus why caching would be useful. Dynamic content needs to be updated often and thus why caching plugins dont favor such setups”

To get around the problem mark has changed my permalinks back to ‘default’ so i have lost the premium press custom slugs.

SURELY, now i have a site which is not SEO?

I am in the UK. I cannot afford dedicated servers but need to find the best hosting company I can who can support my classified theme. I have 45 days to cancel go daddy.

Can someone suggest a good hosting company they would recommend to work with PP. I am completely confused as to what to do or who to go with. I will admit the thing i liked with go daddy is that they have brilliant support. Whatever issue I was having (apart from removing this plugin) they are willing to spend hours at a time sorting it out if necessary.

I am grateful to all who can give me some assistance and good recommendations.

Mark

March 25, 2015 at 10:16 am
  • M
    M
    Senior Member 283 points

DreamHost is pretty cheap, VPS servers start at $15 per month ( £10 ? ) you can upgrade memory at your own course.

March 25, 2015 at 10:56 am
  • Mark
    Mark
    Senior Member 150 points

@ M – i was a bit worried as their didnt appear to be a UK call number. I read on the wordpress hosting guide that 24/7 call support is advantageous if not a must.

I am also not entirely sure how much server space I will require. If listings have upto 10 large pictures and there are many thousands then I will need large servers?

really confused.

thanks for your input

March 25, 2015 at 12:46 pm
  • Cynthia
    Cynthia
    Newbie 78 points

***My responses start and end in asterik (*)***
    I need some help on this one. I have been building a site on godaddy shared hosting. I noticed it was slow and unresponsive so i called and complained and they suggested moving across to a managed WordPress hosting account. More resources at my disposal and more RAM, better processors etc.
    ***Godaddys wordpress hosting account is garbage. There is no improved performance at all. They just charge you for backups, etc. Better to use their unlimited shared hosting or upgrade to a managed dedicated server. ***

Moved everything over and presto. The site seemed a bit quicker so i got on developing. Marks update to 8.1 came along and I updated the theme. I played around with it looking for whats new on my classifieds theme and when I go to ‘add listing’ nothing happened. The home page merely refreshed. I checked my permalinks (as they get changed with updates sometimes) but all seemed fine.

I notified mark fail and he has looked into the issue for me. He told me that godaddy have put a chaching plugin in my wp-content folder and it needs to be removed. I called godaddy and asked them to remove it and they did. However it appears there is a caching plugin on their back end that they cannot remove.

***Use your FTP program and navigate to wp-content>plugins and remove and cache plugins there. Then search around wp-content and plugins for any other cache folders and remove them. This should help***

Upon telling Mark this he advised me “they cater more for static content websites and thus why caching would be useful. Dynamic content needs to be updated often and thus why caching plugins dont favor such setups”

To get around the problem mark has changed my permalinks back to ‘default’ so i have lost the premium press custom slugs.

***Use WP-Super Cache. That is the best one for these sites in my opinion. Whenever you add something new, go to Content, under WP Super Cache and click on delete. This will erase old cache content and refresh your site with the updated content. Most definately go and put your slugs back to the way you had them. SEO is important.***

SURELY, now i have a site which is not SEO?

I am in the UK. I cannot afford dedicated servers but need to find the best hosting company I can who can support my classified theme. I have 45 days to cancel go daddy.

Can someone suggest a good hosting company they would recommend to work with PP. I am completely confused as to what to do or who to go with. I will admit the thing i liked with go daddy is that they have brilliant support. Whatever issue I was having (apart from removing this plugin) they are willing to spend hours at a time sorting it out if necessary.

***If money is tight then stick with godaddy. Get the unlimited hosting account and do not use their cache program or anything they offer to speed up site. Let me know if I can help in any way. ***

I am grateful to all who can give me some assistance and good recommendations.

Mark

March 25, 2015 at 2:36 pm
  • M
    M
    Senior Member 283 points

@Mark you upgrade as you go along… pay for what you need initially.

When you out grow VPS upgrades, meaning your making enough money from your customers, then you could think about purchasing a dedicated server.

This of course is just my opinion…

March 25, 2015 at 3:13 pm
  • Mark
    Mark
    Senior Member 150 points

@ Cynthia – thank you for taking the time to respond. i really appreciate your input. especially your thoughts re moving back to shared hosting and using the WP Super Cache plugin. That has become my plan B so than you.

@ M – That is very much the plan. If the site make some money I wil of course upgrade, but if it doesn’t take off I do not want to be married to high cost dedicated servers :-)

FYI – godaddy support have managed to provide a solution it seems. Perhaps someone could tell me why, and even if not this hopefully will provide a solution for anyone else having this issue.

After playing around with the permalinks the hosting support suggested changing my structure to /%post_id% ie taking off the last /

Now the site is working? I cannot tell you why but it is? He said they have had issues with the / at the end of the structure a couple of times and by taking it away it works fine. Interestingly he thought that suggested it was likely NOT to be the caching plugin?

thank you for the help and I hope this helps others who may have this issue in the future – i will keep you posted if it ‘stays resolved’

Mark

March 25, 2015 at 3:28 pm
  • M
    M
    Senior Member 283 points

What you did with the rewrite rules is common enough…

Not sure if you had asked elsewhere about it but all you had to do was either add or remove the following from your .htaccess file.

RewriteBase /

March 25, 2015 at 3:33 pm
  • Mark
    Mark
    Senior Member 150 points

@ M – wish mark fail had told me that earlier 😉

thanks again

March 25, 2015 at 3:53 pm
  • M
    M
    Senior Member 283 points

Some htaccess files come with a hash tag # which turns off the base rewrite

#RewriteBase /

Pending on the host and further rewrite rules the hash tag is removed or the line itself could be safely removed.

Whats in your htaccess file? and was it created by godaddy or some other host?

March 25, 2015 at 4:17 pm
  • Mark
    Mark
    Senior Member 150 points

@ M – this is the htaccess file

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ – [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

March 25, 2015 at 4:32 pm
  • Clive
    Clive
    Super Guru 1,818 points

GoDaddy tech support is run by chimps.

In fact, scratch that. Chimps would do a better job.

March 25, 2015 at 11:17 pm
  • Jason
    Jason
    Guru 833 points

The reason you have this caching in yr files is because you used the MANAGED WORDPRESS plan in GoDaddy. This causes that plugin to be installed. There is two places it needs to be removed from. No one will remove it whilest you still in that plan, just wont unless you shifted to a different NON MANAGED WORDPRESS plan

This was one reason reason I shifted away from Godaddy. They said to me their MANAGED WORDPRSS was super secure, designed for WordPress sites only, fast, etc.
    Facts are its not fast, difficult to access files, very buggy as its held on the worlds largest Shared Budget Hosting, and used to use SITELOCK Security which was destroying out PP sites removing things thought was XXS Cross Scripting issues, now they use SECURI because it is WAY BETTER.

Stay away from Godaddy Managed WordPress, not worth the hastle being screwed around.

If you havent found how to remove these files then you can message me, I can help.

Here,s one more reason I dont like them anymore, they still charge for SSL. Most decent Hosting offer this for free nowdays, just the basic obviously, and stronger SSL gotta pay for.

December 16, 2017 at 8:04 pm
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team