Feedback on recently live directory

• Janak
    Super Guru

1,217 points

I put one of my directories live a short while ago. Although it is live I’m going to be continually improving it and adding content. I would welcome honest constructive feedback.

The site is Mobile Homes 4u – Static Caravan Hire

Feel free to leave comments, good or bad!

Deniz
    Deniz

10 points

Its not great but its OK. Why didn’t you put the price per day of the rentals in the listings?

Josh
    Josh
    Super Guru

13,887 points

Looks great Janak.Good work :)

Janak
    Super Guru

1,217 points

Thanks for the comment Deniz – what do you mean by putting price per day? Do you mean a price for each individual day? The theme doesn’t provide for this nor does it provide calendars. I’ve had to add these in.

@Josh, thanks.

Deniz
    Deniz

10 points

Hi, I mean what the price is per day for each vacation home. So people can see what the prices are. Why doesn’t the theme provide price?

Can’t you use a WP plugin for showing calendar availibility of the vacation homes? So visitors can see when the vac. homes are rented out already. And this plugin can be managed by the owners of the listings. Do they have access to their listings or are all listings yours?

I think it’s nice and professional looking site. Did you make it yourself?

Maybe on a listing page, you can add also France and then the area in the breadcrumbs. Now it only says; Home / Camping x
    And the breadcrumbs are somewhat vague, not good visible it seems.

Why do you have a 2 column page on the listing pages? Why not a full width page instead?

And you can put your logo as favicon in the browser tab? Would look nice.

Why don’t you make it a full portal with credit card and bank wire payment options to book on the site?

Janak
    Super Guru

1,217 points

Hi Deniz
    I do have a price range, low and high (per week) for those people that have provided it. A straight daily rate is no good as rates vary enormously depending on the time of year.

I do have availability calendars for those that want them (about half) and they can update myself. I added this myself via software (not plugin),

I maintain listings myself to keep it simple for now.

I will raise the breadcrumb issue – this is problems with the theme – for categories the breadcrumb is fine but I’d noticed the listing breadcrumbs are poor.

As far as 2 columns for listings, I’m looking to continually improve the layout, again I wanted to get this live. It is on my long to do list along with favicon and other things.

For full online booking this theme just won’t do it without a lot of complicated work. If my site is successful I’ll invest more time into it in the future and will probably have to use a different platform to achieve online booking. I looked long and hard at themes that could handle booking and there are some goo ones but they always lacked something essential. Also caravan owners seem to like to deal direct with their clients.
    If I try to make it do everything (when the theme doesn’t provide for these things) it would take forever to get it live.

Thanks for your comments, I already have a long lost of improvements.

Janak
    Super Guru

1,217 points

Sorry, that should read I have a long list of improvements to make over time but promotion of the site is now my priority at the moment.

And yes I did do the site myself but have had to make some amend to the theme.

Deniz
    Deniz

10 points

Who are your competitors? Are those big sites like Airbnb?

And maybe later on you can get a better logo w/ the color turqoise instead of the ugly yellow?

I tried to search for a caravan in France that had Wifi in the caravan. This was a bit difficult. In the results in couldn’t see which result was which Google maps pointer.
    Also for the names of the regions in France are mentioned but you can’t see them on a map.

Which theme or child theme are you using?

And I had to click on the button Google Map to show those results on the map. Why isn’t this standard?

Janak
    Super Guru

1,217 points

I’m using Directory theme with my own child theme.

The reason I don’t show the map by default is down to a limitation with the theme – if you have more than one listing at an address it only shows one pointer- on my site I could have lots at one address (holiday park). I’m going to raise the issue with Mark otherwise I’ll need to customise which will be quite complicated.

Deniz
    Deniz

10 points

Why didn’t you use the responsive real estate theme?
    Did you create the child theme w/ the child theme creator?

Maybe you can accentuate the Special Offer for early bookings a bit more?

Maybe you can use the built in Addthis feature to make your site shareable on social networks?

Janak
    Super Guru

1,217 points

I thought about using the Real Estate theme but it doesn’t offer any extra features over DT. Sure, the default theme looks more like an estate agent but it is basically the same theme with some cosmetic changes. I (and others) have stated that things like availability and being able to search for available properties is essential to a useful letting theme and I’ve asked Mark about it but haven’t had any information that these featues would be introduced any time soon in RT. So I stuck with DT for now as I’m more familiar with DT’s default css and DT gets a lot more coverage in the forums.

I did use the Child Theme creator then modified from there.

Regarding the offer, I do display it on the normal advertise page:
    http://www.mobilehomes4u.co.uk/advertise/

but you are right I need to make it prominent throughout the site and have been meaning to do so. Your other idea with share is good also. I have such a long list – I just need more hours in the day at the moment!

Thanks for the honest input – it is what is needed rather than just praise!

Deniz
    Deniz

10 points

My pleasure and good luck with the site!

Janak
    Super Guru

1,217 points

Thank you Deniz.

I’ll post back in here in the future once I’ve made a number of the improvements on my to do list.

Usman

2 points

Awesome. logo could be re-worked.

Janak
    Super Guru

1,217 points

Thanks Usman. Will think about the logo sometime but I have a big list of improvements to be made and not enough time in the day!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.