Disable star ratings for nonmembers

WordPress Business Themes Forums Responsive Themes Directory Theme Disable star ratings for nonmembers

Disable star ratings for nonmembers

June 24, 2014
mary mary
  • mary
    mary
    Newbie 10 points

is there a way to disable the ability to rate a listing unless you are a member and signed in? Currently anyone can rate a listing. My listings are going to be a service based listing . so the current star rating system is ineffective as it allows the possibilty of someone just sitting on a rating and stacking em up. I had to disable it as it serves no use .. Though I would love to be able to use it

June 24, 2014 at 4:23 am
  • Marie
    Marie
    Super Guru 1,453 points

hi mary,

at the moment, everyone can rate the listings logged in or not.

June 24, 2014 at 5:26 am
  • Sandra
    Sandra
    Senior Member 265 points

Mary if you try to rate twice you can’t so one user cannot rack up ratings.

Also, I personally think the non-members rating is the whole point? As your customer – their opinion of themselves is irrelevant, and their customer, the unpaying user, is the true critic.

That’s how I view it for my website, is your similar?

June 24, 2014 at 10:16 pm
  • mary
    mary
    Newbie 10 points

@Sandra
    Actually this is a site with musical instructors on it .
    So the intent would be for only registered memebers would be more prone to have actually been students .. so their actual experience with the teacher would be what is impoortant.. not just what their listing looked like..

I shall test the multiple rating thing
    I was able to put in multiple ratings for one listing as a non-member
    and it changed the star rating indicated.

But I shall test further..

thanks

June 24, 2014 at 10:50 pm
  • Clive
    Clive
    Super Guru 1,818 points

The rating system is cookie based – so users can only vote once per record.

June 24, 2014 at 11:13 pm
  • mary
    mary
    Newbie 10 points

Then I am not sure what is going on because it is letting me register numerous ratings for each listing . however .. I did test with a couple of them in particualar (though I did cycle throug a few of them
    and then I started getting this error when I selected a rating for one I had previously selected..

IT popped up above the listings NOTE: I replaced my root dir name with <root> in each of these errors..

Warning: Illegal string offset ‘ips’ in /home/<root>/public_html/ukuleleteachers/wp-content/themes/DT/framework/class/class_white_label_themes.php on line 1579

Warning: Illegal string offset ‘ips’ in /home/<root>/public_html/ukuleleteachers/wp-content/themes/DT/framework/class/class_white_label_themes.php on line 1581

Warning: array_merge(): Argument #1 is not an array in /home/<root>/public_html/ukuleleteachers/wp-content/themes/DT/framework/class/class_white_label_themes.php on line 1581

Warning: Illegal string offset ‘ips’ in /home/<root>/public_html/ukuleleteachers/wp-content/themes/DT/framework/class/class_white_label_themes.php on line 1581

site is ukuleleteachers.com
    I am testing with Chrome

June 25, 2014 at 2:12 am
  • Michael
    Michael
    Senior Member 141 points

@ Sandra , @ Clive

You are wrong. The rating system allows a visitor to vote as many times as he wants, so anyone can manipulate the ratings.

I tried it on Mary’s website : http://ukuleleteachers.com/listing/zahra-lowzley/
    The listing had no ratings. I voted 1 star first, reloaded the page, voted 5 stars. Reloaded again – the rating is 3 stars.

August 25, 2014 at 10:55 pm
  • Michael
    Michael
    Senior Member 141 points

@ mary

Try a free plugin WP- PostRatings.
    It logs by cookies and IP’s.

August 25, 2014 at 10:57 pm
  • Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points

Hey Michael,

I’ve been trying to get the WP-PostRatings to work for quite some time now. Do you know exactly where I can input the code to have the ratings appear on search results and listing pages? I’ve read the installation guide but it’s not a big help with this theme.
    Thanks in advance :)

June 22, 2015 at 8:51 am
  • Alex Morgan
    Alex Morgan
    Super Guru 1,072 points

@Delali,

You can try to add it to the Page setup > Content Pages > Listing page layout and Search Results layout.

June 22, 2015 at 11:59 am
  • Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points

Alex, thanks so much for responding. I got it showing on the listing page using a shortcode, but for some reason it won’t show in the Search Results. It seems to be inserting behind the listing image for some reason, no matter where I place the shortcode.

June 22, 2015 at 6:48 pm
  • Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points

Okay, for some reason it just started to show up :) Thanks again for your help.

June 22, 2015 at 8:57 pm
  • Delali
    Delali
    Newbie 32 points

:roll: Now I’m getting an error message when registered users try to rate: Oops! You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page. This shows up where the rating should be. Visitors can rate fine, but registered users can’t. I’ve searched everywhere and can’t find the answer. I’ve lost so many hours over this plugin 😥

June 22, 2015 at 10:06 pm
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Didn't find what you were after?

Chat with us now

or contact our support team