Business Directory – Theme v8.3

• james

19 points

Richard,
    Nice job on the primesiteuk.com site! I recently launched a directory site using a Guru freelancer. He did a good job, but unfortunately I missed several items on the site that I should have had done before signing off on the project.
    The directory theme was used for http://beachbarlife.com.

Earlier to spoke with freelancer about issues (below) I’m now having with the site. He sounded as if it would be a lot of work? I’m a neophyte when it comes to editing code, backend stuff etc. Perhaps, you or anyone that can help, would be kind enough to explain a couple of things? I could pass it on to him? Saving him time and me money?

How did you get your dropdown menus to work correctly and look so professional? Any hints I can pass on to on how to my freelancer to get my “Add Listing – Register New Account & similar pages to give them a similar appearance like your Posting a Message – Express Listing – Submission Guidelines etc.? Are your pages with forms and contact pages done with a certain plugin or widget? Or all created with code? I’ve also been trying to do the simple task of limiting number of articles per page per page in blog and just realized I can’t save details to custom fields in listing manager? Any suggestions, other than take up knitting?
    Cheers, Jim

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Richard
    Richard
    Super Guru

971 points

Hi James,

Thanks for that :-)

No to be critical but I’m still using BT v.8.3 so many of the elements I am using are not applicable to PP latest theme version.

The latest themes still seems problematical with way too many questions how to use being posted? It’s supposed to ‘work out the box’ but I am yet to see that 😉

Essentially, I spent time working out which plugins I needed (not anted) and with a ton of time, spent testing/configuring as well of course, help from Josh on here..

‘How did you get your dropdown menus to work correctly and look so professional?’

To address some of you questions :

I use a plugin called contact 7 which is rather good and allow you a great deal of flexibility.

In terms of limiting number of articles per page I would suggest you search WP for a plugin called ‘paginate’ which would allow you to ‘split’ your pages into more manageable/readable portions.

One other thing, until you get your site ‘as you need’ always do a backup before you do anything and directly afterwards once you have what you want in place. WPBackup works a treat in case if you screw anything up, you can restore at the click of a button!

HTH :-)

Richard
    Richard
    Super Guru

971 points

@JAmes,

The menu…I forgot…

This is achieved simply using > Dashboard > Appearance> Menu section.

Simply add an item to an ‘existing menu’ item.

You simply ‘step’ the item into the existing menu heading.

Here, a picture says it all…

HTH :-)

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.