App for Directory Theme and the others?

• john
    john

7 points

Has anyone already built an app for Directorypress or any other theme yet??

I have a long established directory and the traffic is more mobile and tablet by a long way now!
    Desktop viewings are so low I am going to have to modify my site to be even more mobile friendly.
    However, an app would be great!

Another major issue with not having an app is the very limited space on the mobile version for ads.
    I have used sidebars on both sides for a long time to promote listing events and don’t know what we can do to get more usable ad space?

Any advice or development would be much appreciated. Thank you John Warden

JESSE
    JESSE

27 points

Hi John – I’m really hoping to see a white-label app become available too.

Wayne
    Wayne

30 points

The themes are built on html5 so they already display very well on mobile devices. Importantly, load and play around with Page Builder (included as downloadable plugin), and you’ll see you can build a very nice Home and other pages for your responsive site. Don’t use the built in Mobile Menu. Make your Home Page custom using Page Builder.

If you want to convert it to IOS or Android, there are plenty of wordpress plugins available (Phone Gap), and the Html5 makes them look good!

Note, that the mobile screens are smaller and attention span of users are shorter, so most successful sites have dramatically changed their strategies on how they get and hold user attention. Old approaches simply don’t work any more. Nowadays, understanding the flexibility of Page Builder and coming up with ways to offer very custom service-orientated, database solutions is an important key to success when using a PremiumPress

Bottom line, your solution is already here.

john
    john

7 points

I realise how good the website displays but the thought of people downloading an app to their phone means a commitment to you. I am seeing a massive increase in mobile use on my site http://www.over-30s.co.uk
    . I would like a way of showing more ads on the mobile devices.

Wayne
    Wayne

30 points

Questions and comments: Can apps really be effective for medium and large databases? Is the model of charging for listings dead?

I see John is using a directory database for an Events application – very nice by the way! I am supplementing my directory site with an api driven events plugin. Api plugins are nice because they don’t seem to cause conflicts. Also, I saw a plugin/directory company getting ready to come out with an api-based directory plugin.

I would pay extra to have Mark just handle everything behind the scenes with an api-based directory plugin or a mobile app. Or, are we talking about a white label app as an addon for pushing notifications, etc.

My experience has been we need a custom app and they don’t work well; I could be wrong. One think for sure our business is evolving rapidly and hope Mark can keep up.

We have a confusing market and there are a lot of rabbit holes. Your thoughts…

Riccardo
    Riccardo

163 points

UP :)

Josh
    Josh
    Super Guru

13,599 points

The new themes yet to be released will have an app.Mark Fail is still working on the theme

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.