Advantages of using Ctype over Categories?

• Sven
    Sven

29 points

Hello. I have been trying to get an answer from Support about the advantages of using the Ctype field instead of creating Categories, but so far the only answer I received from the support staff has been to create the categories and see for myself…

So, I’m asking the forum. I see a few disadvantages of using the Ctype field instead of using Categories for the car types, but I’m not sure about what disadvantages I would have if I use Categories instead:

DISADVANTAGES OF USING CTYPE:

1) You can have a maximum of 10 Car types.
    2) Each listing can only be placed in 1 category. So, if for example you have a 1950 convertible Corvette, you will have to chose between Ctypes like Sports Cars, Convertibles or Classics. But if you use Categories, you can have it in the 3 categories.
    3) It seems Ctypes can’t be edited.

DISADVANTAGES OF USING CATEGORIES?

1) Don’t know… Can someone elaborate on this?

Thank you…

Josh
    Josh
    Super Guru

13,887 points

Hello Sven,
    Ctype is a custom field.Its displayed in the Fields table in listing page.Category is a taxonomy.These are totally 2 different items with totally different features.Please go to Listing Manager >Categories,create an example category just see how category works.
    I suggest you view the wordpress codex to have an idea what these 2 are.
    More info >>
    http://www.wpbeginner.com/glossary/category/
    https://en.support.wordpress.com/posts/categories/
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Custom_Fields

Sven
    Sven

29 points

Josh, you keep saying the same thing. I already created many categories and the theme seems to work fine with them. BUT I’m NOT asking what’s the difference between categories (or taxonomies) and fileds. I AM ASKING WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF USING CTYPE INSTEAD OF CATEGORIES?

For many days I have been trying to explain to you that I feel there are some drawbacks using Ctype instead of Categories in this particular theme. But since I did NOT code it, I don’t know if using Categories instead of Ctype will cause unforseen trouble. My logic tells me that you didn’t invest time and effort to create Ctype for nothing, so there must be something that’s escaping my eye.

So again goes the question: WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF USING CTYPE INSTEAD OF CATEGORIES?

Josh
    Josh
    Super Guru

13,887 points

Sven like I mentioned in your ticket ctype is a built-in field.You cannot add more options.You mentioned you wanted more options and i replied and asked you to create own custom field and add options you want alternatively you can use categories depending on which of the 2 meets your needs.Though ctype is a built-in field not using it will not have any effect in your site.Like you mentioned above ‘..theme seems to work fine with them’
    So advantage of using category is that category is a taxonomy and opens in a search page displaying all listings in that category plus you can add as many categories as you wish.Category also allows you to add a category image and description which will be displayed in search page.You can display categories in any page using [TAXONOMY] shortcode
    Ctype field just displays the car type in a the fields table in listing page.Nothing more.You can only use ctype in the Advanced Search
    If you already have created and used categories then the advantage should be self-explanatory

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.