5 Character Match ?

• Miro

39 points

Hi,
    Under Comparison Settings > Comparison Matching Options > 5 Character Match.
    Is it possible to increase it on more than 5 Character Match?
    For example 8 or 10 Character Match?

I have many products which have 5 Character Match in the title, but it’s not relevant products, and I would like increase number of character match for more precise and relevant match…

I can remember that it was possible before, with old version!

JamesD
    JamesD
    Titan

660 points

Hello Miroslav,

I’m pretty sure increasing the number of characters won’t solve what you’re attempting to do.

The “character match” setting refers to the minimum number of characters to match consecutively, so it actually checks for 6 (or more) characters in a row (no spaces I believe in your case a space or another non-alpha numeric character, is preventing the search from actually matching THE MINIMUM of 6+ characters in a row).

Hope that makes sense.

There isn’t a setting to change it that I’m aware of, but an alternative would be to customize and/or alter a core file, which isn’t really recommended but doable.

Note: Don’t forget to always make a backup of any file you will be editing if you decide to take the “do it yourself” approach.

JamesD
    JamesD
    Titan

660 points

Here are a couple screenshots describing how the search works with the “5 Character Match” setting…

Note: The images show the “/wp-content/themes/CM\framework/class/defaults_comparison.php” file around line #640.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    This reply was awarded the best answer by the topic poster.

Miro

39 points

Hi James,
    Thank you very much for your help.
    I will try it!

Best regards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.